• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Contacts custom fields not syncing

mptpro

Mar 30, 2010
I have a Cliq XT which is synced to my gmail account.

I was wondering if it is possible to synchronize the custom fields in Google Contacts to my Android device?

As of now, they do not sync. Only the "notes" field does. I assumed that since Andoid = Google, this would be automatic.

I use the custom fields extensively!

thanks

You might get better results posting in Motorola CLIQ XT - Android Forums as this is the Motorola DROID forum.

However, since this is something that we can run into as well, we can try a test. Give me an example of a custom field that you create and I'll create a dummy contact with said field(s) and see if it transfers to my phone....

Upvote 0
I have a Cliq XT which is synced to my gmail account.

I was wondering if it is possible to synchronize the custom fields in Google Contacts to my Android device?

As of now, they do not sync. Only the "notes" field does. I assumed that since Andoid = Google, this would be automatic.

I use the custom fields extensively!

thanks
I'm having the same problem with my Droid X.

Upvote 0
I think that what needs to happen here is that the phones and the OS need to be refined more. Now that we have phones with gobs of internal memory, that should not be an issue anymore, but it seems that Android is still limiting the amount of information shown in terms of extra fields.

Hopefully there is a change in the works allowing full synchronization of all fields, but for now, we're stuck with this as it is.

Upvote 0
Thanks for at least defining what the source of this problem is -- I have spent DAYS switching from Palm OS and converting 2000 contacts to a CSV file. I am NOT HAPPY that what Palm could do, Android can't. I'm going to try putting my custom data under google contact supported fields, but it's just ridiculous that my super sophistcated Galaxy Nexus can't handle a few custom fields. The fields are showing up beautifully in Google contacts, but absent from the phone.

Upvote 0
Amazingly, still not fixed in Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Besides using the notes field, another workaround for numeric values is to use a phone number of type "Other" and change "Other" to you desired field name. This has the advantage that the field contains only the value, so if you copy/paste you just get what you want (like in a custom field).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones