• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Contacts keep changing

brnr17

Android Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2009
Wisconsin
I changed about 20 of my google contacts names' yesterday and shut my phone off over night. Now today all the contacts were changed back to their original names, and i have double information for all. For example john smith, when you go to edit contact has 2 names fields, 2 numbers, everything. It's like it copied itself into the same directory. Any ideas on a fix?

Google must have synced, adding the old data.

When I had this issue, I took the trouble to delete my gmail data in the phone, reconfiguring (starting over) then making the name and group changes online in my gmail account manually rather than on my phone as I'd done before.

i also just did this and it seems to be corrected, not sure why it won't take it on the phone!

Upvote 0
i also just did this and it seems to be corrected, not sure why it won't take it on the phone!

You'll have to take the trouble to clear data and uninstall gmail.

Menu > settings > applications > manage applications > gmail > clear data (button) > uninstall

Then reboot and reinstall (starting over with it ;)).

Then sync.

The whole process is a pita, but took care of it for me.

You might also want to read this (peripheral stuff on the subject, could come in handy):

http://androidforums.com/android-ne...ity-restore-contacts-list-previous-state.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones