Google contacts on Google APps

Last Updated:

1. mcleaver

mcleaver Member This Topic's Starter

I have a main Google account under my own domain. I spent ages getting all my contact details - Google contacts was only email addresses, I also had SIM numbers, phone numbers and proper address book in Palm Desktop. I finally managed to get it all into Google contacts and even merge all the doubles (lots and lots). Only to find out that the Google contacts being synced was not the one for my main Google mail account (under Google apps).
    1) what account is being synced?
    2) is there any other way to restore my windows contacts/phone numbers (HTC sync won't work :-(
    3) does anyone actually understand exactly what my Hero is doing with the various sources of contacts?

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Do you have a normal Google account with the same email address (username)/password? If so it might be using that. I have both google hosted and a normal google account using the same email address (username) but with different passwords, I find it will use the one according to which password I use. So if that is your issue maybe try changing the passwords to different ones?

3. mcleaver

To be honest, I don't know how to distinguish which I am using? Google isn't exactly informative about it. I recently asked why the storage I bought for Piacasa (and Google Apps) wasn't showing up in my GAFYD apps, but they are apparently different beasts. It's not obvious to a user which is which. :-(

4. bluenova

Picasa uses your normal Google account not google apps. Basically any url that has 'google.com/a/' such as http://mail.google.com/a/ uses your google apps account, and any google service that doesn't have the 'a' is using your normal google account (such as http://mail.google.com). As said, best to set different passwords to distigish between the two.

5. bluenova

Just to add, I think if you change your passwords your Hero should ask for a new password (I think, never tried it as I haven't had it long enough). Then you can enter the password for your hosted account and you'll be using that one.

6. mcleaver

Goodness, that does demand some lateral thinking. So if I changed both passwords to different words, then it will ask me for the new password and, depending on which I give, it will use a different account? That is nifty! But totally illogical! :):eek:

7. mcleaver

8. mcleaver

Well, I have changed the passwords... and would now like to resurrect my contacts... I told applications in Android settings to clear the data, but wonder how I can persuade it to sync to the contacts again?

9. mcleaver

Aha. Now my contacts have returned! Great victory. But I also apparently have phone contacts (separate from my Google contacts). I have a basketfull of "(unknown)". How to rid myself of that?