Google Contacts Overwrite Droid Contacts

Last Updated:

1. mossoffa

mossoffa New Member This Topic's Starter

I use a Droid and Google contacts. I hate Google's contact interface - it crashes Internet Explorer half the time - so I want to edit my contacts on my Droid and have them get updated on Google contacts. I tried this, but when I sync, the google data overwrites what is on my Droid. I've lost a lot of changes already. I tried deleting the contact in Google thinking the Droid contact would then become dominant, but the contact just got deleted on my Droid. But when I add a new contact on the Droid, it does go to Google. So it seems that all the existing Google contacts only sync one way - from google down to the Droid. I must change this. I need updates to happen both ways or else I need to make changes only go up to Google from the Droid. Help?

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I think the sync just works the the way it works. I don't think you can change it without turning it off entirely. I have to ask too, why not use something other than Internet Explorer for Google's contact interface? It's never crashed on me.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

My first recommendation: Download and install Google Chrome on your PC and manage your Gmail Contacts with Chrome.

Also, you could go into Google Gmail (using Chrome), go into Contacts, then "Export" your contacts to a CSV files. Open that file with MS Excel (or the free OpenOffice Calc) and edit your contact list there. Then import the list back into Gmail which will sync your PERFECT list back into your DROID. This is what I do, and I love it!

4. unknowndroid

unknowndroid Well-Known Member

I've made updates to my contacts on the Droid and my Google contacts were updated. Just to be sure, I just added an email to one of my contacts on the Droid. Checked it online and the email is now there.