• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Contacts Sync Issues

consiglere

Lurker
May 18, 2010
I'm getting a "sync is currently experiencing problems.It will be back shortly" error. The phone continually tries to sync my contacts which is draining my battery. I made sure my login information to google is correct and I just figure out why it won't sync my contacts. When I uncheck "Sync contacts", I don't get the error anymore.

I can't take a screen shot since my phone isn't rooted and the apps that I know of that allows you to grab screen shots require rooting.

Help please

There are several possibilities.

I'm assuming that you otherwise have connectivity, so that's not it. If you are running wifi, try disabling wifi and syncing OTA.

Barring those, it's possible you have some corruption in your contacts file. I had the same thing happen to me once. To fix it, I did the following:

* backed up my gmail contacts on the PC
* Cleared the data in Contacts Storage (HomeScreen->Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage applications->Contacts Storage->Clear data
* Then go back to ...Settings->Accounts&sync and manually resync the contacts data.

NB: if you are synced with Facebook, you might have to resync that as well.

jd

Upvote 0
Clearing the contact and resyncing seemed to fix the problem

There are several possibilities.

I'm assuming that you otherwise have connectivity, so that's not it. If you are running wifi, try disabling wifi and syncing OTA.

Barring those, it's possible you have some corruption in your contacts file. I had the same thing happen to me once. To fix it, I did the following:

* backed up my gmail contacts on the PC
* Cleared the data in Contacts Storage (HomeScreen->Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage applications->Contacts Storage->Clear data
* Then go back to ...Settings->Accounts&sync and manually resync the contacts data.

NB: if you are synced with Facebook, you might have to resync that as well.

jd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones