Google Contacts

Last Updated:

1. dazek

dazek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All

I have recently transferred the contacts from my windows mobile into googlemail and synced with the HTC desire. The problem I have is that i have 1600 contacts - 1500 of which are from my old job!

I want to keep these contacts and have put them in a new folder ('Old Work' for eg) and ive put all my other contacts in the Friends folder.

I want to keep these old contacts but I dont want to see them on a daily basis. Any way around this on the Desire.

I can't seem to permanently filter the 'People' app - Ive tried adding the 'People' and 'Phone' folder to the desktop but they just both seem to have all contacts in. You would think I could add the 'Friends' or 'Old work' folder to the desktop but I can't find it. Is this possible or is there a decent work around??

Many thanks

Daz

ps - still loving the phone!

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Down at the bottom of the "People" app there is an option to view groups. You could set each contact to a group and then just leave the group that you want to see open instead of all the Contacts.

3. dazek

the contacts are already in groups - thats what i meant on the first post sorry - so group 'friends' and group 'old work' - how do you leaving something open - I presumed everytime you exited from a screen, it closed the app?

4. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member

There is a folder you can add for all people, so in theory groups should be possible, but I can't find a way to do it. :-(

5. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

You can use the people widgets to only show a certain group of people, would it not be an idea to have the widget on one of your screens only showing the people from group 'friends'??

6. AlastairH

AlastairH Member

If you're inclined to do so you can go into Contacts on Gmail (on your PC)and in the first pane at the bottom there should be 'All contacts' and 'Most Contacted' if you move people from one group to another it should prevent them showing up on your phone, or at least it does in mine.

7. dazek

@Alastair - if i can get that to work that would be fine as I really do not need to see these contacts on a daily basis. If i needed to, I could always log into google on my phone move and resync

@biscuitlad - thats what ive been trying to do as well and can't - you think it would make sense to add different groups as folders to the desktop - work, friends, family - it would be a quicker search (less screen taps)

@jred - just found that - will have a play!

8. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Funny, I just cleaned out mine today. Here's what I did... Oh, and I did it via my Gmail because it is insane to try to edit such things on the phone:

1) Make a contacts folder called "Keep Upfront". In it, I put all those I want to keep in the People first screen.

2) Create another folder called "Temp Toss". I'll explain the purpose later.

3) Divide up everyone into groups - Work, Friends, Businesses, Acquaintances, Overseas, etc.

When you sort people into folders, they automatically get added to a folder called "My Contacts" - that is your primary phone listing.
    4) Now go to "My Contacts" and select All and click on the pulldown and REMOVE THEM ALL FROM THAT FOLDER. The reason is because you were just sorting, so EVERY contact should be there because it was automatically added to "My Contacts".

5) Now go to "Keep Upfront" and add it to "Temp Toss". This action will add the contacts to "My Contacts".

So I'll repeat, the thing to remember is that every time you move a contact to ANY folder, it will be put into "My Contacts". Remove it from there and it will not show up on the front. Every time I add new contacts, if they are part of the ones I want upfront, I make sure to tag them "Keep Upfront" so that I can repeat the process and declutter my front listing (i.e. if I added a bunch of businesses that I don't call often, but want to have the numbers of).

I would keep the two folders, "Keep Upfront" and "Temp Toss". I'd clear "Temp Toss", so that I could repeat the process easily.

Hope this isn't too convoluted. It's pretty simple... and because I'm lazy, this is by far the easiest way to sort.

Tim

p.s. You really can't **** up your contacts unless you hit DELETE. Do NOT hit delete. Otherwise, play around with your groupings and folders. There is no risk.

dazek likes this.
  9. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member

Anyone able to tell me how I can upload my contacts from my handset to my gmail account?

I only opened the account for use with marketplace, but it seems like a very useful way to back up contacts, and make quick multiple edits, and then send back to the phone.

I presume this is possible?

10. n3p3nth3

n3p3nth3 New Member

Many thanks Pojken, you really helped me finally figuring out how this works!

But the way I figure it, there's really no need for a "Keep Upfront" or "Temp Toss" folder, just simply selecting those you don't need and choose "Remove from My Contacts" from the group menu would do it, wouldn't it?

Of course, it's even easier if you already have your contacts marked into multiple groups, you can just select all in say "Old collegues" group and choose "Remove from My Contacts".

Everything is still in "All Contacts" group of course, so there's no risk messing up as long as you don't DELETE.

biscuitlad likes this.
  11. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member

It should sync automatically. If it doesn't:

Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> you@gmail.com

12. dazek

yep - i have removed all my old work contacts from 'my contacts' and they are in a separate folder. now the hundred friend contacts just show up in the people folder on my phone but if i go to groups and can still get all my old work contacts - awesome!!

by the way, i had also made a work around with a programme called folderorganiser - it lets you give keywords to any thing in your phone - apps, contacts, favourites etc and then you can make folders that just show the objects with a certain label. very good programme

13. jimdriver2

Just tried that, it was very quick, and didn't seem to send anything up to the gmail account. They're certainly not there anyway when I log into the main website.

14. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

This isn't meant to be snotty in the least, but do a search on "upload contacts to gmail". I remember doing that a long time back and finding a way to do it with my Sony Ericsson phone. I am sure you can do it easily with your model - it's just a matter of looking.

Tim

15. jimdriver2

Trust me i've searched. Your link even proves it's not straight forward.

The Desire (my model) exports to a vcf file, gmail requires a CSV file.

The reason I asked is because I presumed it would be something straightforward that I was missing (despite some googling) which would mean someone would be able to quickly say 'yeah just do a, b, c'.

Asking for help is kinda the point of forums I thought...

16. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Have you tried this: Google Sync for your phone ? Again, I managed to do this somehow on my Sony Ericsson a long time ago, even though it's not listed. I guess I did something using Exchange. Don't remember.

Or tried converting the file? Convert VCF to CSV

It's not the most elegant solution, but the point is to get it on there and be done with it. Even if it's not straight forward, you'll only have to do it once.

Tim

p.s. Again, I wasn't being pissy. It's just that you didn't mention the model nor specific relevant information like you did in your last post. I assumed you were transferring information from an old phone and not the Desire.