Google Drive app is annoying me! (please help)

1. shivam3d

shivam3d Member

1. How to edit docx or doc file directly in Google Drive (is there an option to convert it into google docs format directly on Android?)

2. WHY can't I download xls/docx format with Gmail?
    It says that I don't have any app that can open this type of file. But Google Drive can open and edit xls/docx, right? SO why th heck the gmail app won't let me view/ or edit the attachments?

I opted for Google Drive because I wanted to remove the need of buying a real OfficeSuite app. I have Google Drive installed, but it can't open email attachment, let me save attachment, let me convert xls/docx/doc to Google Spreadsheet/Google Document format hence, I can't edit any xls/docx/doc files.

Advertisement
    :
  2. SkyJackpot

SkyJackpot Well-Known Member

You don't have to buy any office suite or programs you can download Kingsoft Office which is free for the full version and the. It will let you open docx programs from Gmail or whichever program you want.

When you install Kingsoft OOffice there will be an option in Kingsoft Office to access your Google Drive account. Once you access the documents in your Google Drive account from Kingsoft Office you can edit them and sync them back to Google Drive.

Typed out using SwiftKey, only available for Android ツ :thrasher:
  3. shivam3d

shivam3d Member

Thanks for your reply. It solves one thing. But do you know how to convert a docx file to Google Document file ON ANDROID (without using a PC)?
  4. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

1. Open Google Drive, tap the menu button then the upload button, and select the file you want to open in Drive. The file will be uploaded and you can edit it in Drive app.

2. Because Drive can only open files that have been uploaded into it. As previously stated, you can download Kingsoft Office app for free, and personally I like it better some other paid Office app options.

3. Drive is not an Office App replacement and cannot be used as such. Its a cloud storage app that allows you to edit and open office files stored in it.
  6. shivam3d

shivam3d Member

I tried sending myself an email with a file.docx attachment. Installed an app "attachSave Lite". It enables me to download any file type. Now, I launched Google Drive, tapped the menu button then uploaded the file.docx (using ES File Explorer). The file is uploaded but, it cannot be edited. Furthermore, there is no option to convert the uploaded file to Google Doc format.
  7. chanchan05

I don't know what you did. I have a docx file in my sd card, then uploaded it to GDrive using Astro file explorer, and I could edit it no problems. And I did not need any app to download the attachment, just clicked download on my email app.
  8. shivam3d

shivam3d Member

Do you have rooted phone?

.. My phone comes with pre-installed Stock ROM

Do you have a office app installed? (like OfficeSuite Pro)

When you say that you could 'edit it', do you mean you could edit it with the native Google Drive app (NOT an additional office app)..?

Thanks for your time
  9. chanchan05

Stock ROM on Samsung S3 mini, Tab 7 Plus.

Anyway I tried it again, and it opens in an Office app, not the Google Drive app itself, making Google Drive act like Dropbox.

Seems like you can't go around the need for an Office app. Download Kingsoft, its free anyway.
  10. shivam3d

shivam3d Member

Thanks, looks like I'll have to download it.