Google Drive Folder Syncing

1. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

How would I go about syncing a folder between Google Drive and my Galaxy Nexus automatically? I want to sync my music collection between all my devices, and being British, I don't have access to Music. If I can do this, I'll actually buy a subscription to be able to store all 6.2GB of eargasmic music on Drive.

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Sugarsync or Dropbox can do that easily. So far haven't found a way to do it on Drive.
  3. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I only see an option to sync individual files, not entire folders. Still trying to figure this out so I can sync my Elf Quest collection.
  4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Google Drive is very limited compared to Dropbox. Just can't do much with it yet.

Just signed up for Google Fiber which among other things, will include *1TB* on Drive. I have no idea what I'll do with it. I haven't hardly touched my present 5GB allotment.
  5. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

Alright then, how about a WiFi-syncing app? If I could automatically sync music between my computer and my phone wirelessly, then I could just use Drive & symlinks for syncing between different computers.
  6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Before you fool with all that, you might check out FolderSync.
    Kookas likes this.
  7. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

Did that, and it seems to do exactly what I'm after. I am now another source of income for Google. Thanks.
  8. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

Just seen your post.

I have access to Google Music (had it since release). Just login to the site with a US IP address (via a vpn client like the free Tunnelbear that terminates in the US) and download the music manager.
    Once activated it no longer checks your location.
  9. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

Here in the UK, very few networks will provide unlimited data (it's in its early stages, like 4G), so the cloud streaming thing would only be viable over WiFi. Since I'm often not on WiFi when I'm listening to music I'd probably have my whole music library stored on my phone anyway, so I'm not sure how useful it is to stream from their servers. Would be cool if I got something like T-Mobile's Full Monty package (unlimited everything) though.
  10. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

You can have Google Music make your songs available offline as well.
  11. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK too :D
    I find Google Music useful because I sync my pinned offline selection at home (library is 40GB+) and manage my playlists through the web interface. Plus I like to use stock apps where possible.

Besides I had to do it just because they said I wasn't allowed..
  12. metz2000

metz2000 New Member

There are at least two networks what offer unlimited data, both have good coverage, why would you need more?
    Three PayGo for 15 GBP/30 days
    GiffGaff (O2) PayGo for 12 GBP/30 days
    The fair use is around 90 GB/month for Three, GiffGaff claims they haven't got one.

Google Music is now available in the UK too, and 20,000 files can be stored for free.

BTW, streaming doesn't use lots of data, if you combine it with offline music you'll probably don't need an unlimeted plan.
    It doesn't require lots of bandwidth either, it works fine with sub-3G connections too.
    But as it was mentioned before you can download music to your phone so you don't have to stream all the time.
  13. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

Unlimited data didn't exist in the UK back when I got my contract. Also, streaming does use quite a lot of data. In one day of streaming all my music, I can easily use 200MB (and made that mistake once or twice, thus using all my data up early).