1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Google Drive spreadsheet editing

1. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

I just installed Google Drive (GD) on an LGE Nexus 4 and uploaded a spreadsheet to a directory there. There has been much hoopla! in the news these past few days about the ability to edit spreadsheets on GD using the newly-released Android app.

Using the app, I can access the spreadsheet and open it. I can select any desired cell, but am unable to edit the contents even though the cells of interest are unlocked in the original sheet before uploading. From aPC I allowed conversion to whatever format Google Docs needs, but am still unable to make changes to the sheet on the Android device.

Has anyone been successful editing spreadsheets on Google Drive?

Advertisement
    :
  2. GPSJoe

GPSJoe Active Member

Editing Spreadsheets in Google Docs is pretty straight forward on my phone. All I have to do is click on the cell I want to edit and then at the bottom of the screen there is an empty which bar that I click in the bring up my keyboard.

I have a Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1.1 and my Google Drive version is 1.1.470.11.
  3. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

I uploaded an .xls document and none of the cells are even selectable. What's the secret?
  4. hstroph

double tap selects the cell for me and I can see the value displayed in the bar at the top of the screen but I can't edit it there's no keyboard available nothing seems to work
  5. tcat007

It just opens in "document viewer". I can't edit in Docs on my PC either (but I can in Excel). I can covert to Google Docs document and then edit it on my PC, but that document won't open on my Nexus.

edit: spoke too soon. Maybe the doc was fully uploaded to my Nexus. First gave me a can't open error, then tried again and opened and can edit it. So you can't open xls directly?
  6. hstroph

The Google drive spreadsheet is opened on the Nexus 4 by an application called Quick Office, which doesn't allow editing.

I can't find any such app on the Nexus 4, so I assumed it's part of Google drive.
  7. tcat007

I "think" Drive is just a cloud based "everything" app. Don't need anything else. But I thought it would edit .xls files directly...
  8. hstroph

Exactly... So in what application does your spreadsheet open?
  9. tcat007

Something called "Document Viewer". No clue where it's from. I think part of my file manager maybe (Solid Explorer), or just built into JB. Just views, no edit.
  10. hstroph

I must've misunderstood. I thought you had said previously that you could edit it on the Nexus 4?
  11. GPSJoe

GPSJoe Active Member

You need to upload the document to Google Drive on your desktop in order to edit on your phone.

You might be able to do it from your phone, but I don't know of a way to do it and my "Document Viewer" keeps shutting down so I can't test it. I only had luck uploading photos and music files.
    tcat007 and hstroph like this.
  12. hstroph

Yes, that now makes sense, as I chose to convert to Google Docs on upload in the desktop settings. Uploading the spreadsheet from a desktop results in an editable spreadsheet on the mobile device.

Thank you.