• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google dropping EAS and Google Sync, is it time to jump ship to Windows Phone and outlook.com?

Can someone explain the consequence of Google dropping support for Exchange ActiveSync for non-playing Gmail users and Google Sync,

Google Sync End of Life - Google Apps Help

I am a heavy user of Outlook on desktop and Google Calendar sync, what should I do?

The new outlook.com (hotmail) looks really good, interface in much better than gmail, and will sync natively with outlook.

What is Google doing this? Time to say goodbye to gmail and Android for outlook users?

Can someone explain the consequence of Google dropping support for Exchange ActiveSync for non-playing Gmail users and Google Sync,

Google Sync End of Life - Google Apps Help

I am a heavy user of Outlook on desktop and Google Calendar sync, what should I do?

The new outlook.com (hotmail) looks really good, interface in much better than gmail, and will sync natively with outlook.

What is Google doing this? Time to say goodbye to gmail and Android for outlook users?

I'd hazard a guess, but I'd say low usage possibly. AFAIK Outlook and Exchange sync tend to be corporate and enterprise things. So most of those users would already be paying for Google's enterprise services.

Don't you have to pay for outlook.com and certain other Microsoft on-line services? Like Office 365?

If you want to continue using Google's enterprise services like Sync for corporate applications, you'll probably have to pay up.

Upvote 0
I'd hazard a guess, but I'd say low usage possibly. AFAIK Outlook and Exchange sync tend to be corporate and enterprise things. So most of those users would already be paying for Google's enterprise services.

Don't you have to pay for outlook.com and certain other Microsoft on-line services? Like Office 365?

If you want to continue using Google's enterprise services like Sync for corporate applications, you'll probably have to pay up.

outlook.com is just a new name for hotmail, which is of course free of charge, MS is finally trying to up their consumer offering. The new name can be confusing...

I use Outlook (not outlook.com) to organise my calendar, because Google calender is too simple, there is simply no comparison between Outlook calendar and google calendar.

Upvote 0
Edit...

I use Google Calendar Sync and absolutely love it. It syncs my work calendar on Outlook with my Google Calendar and enables me to get the event reminders right on my phone.

Looks like this won't change for me but that really sucks they are removing the option for new users. And I guess I'll lose it if I get a new computer. There has to be an app or program that would provide a work-around....right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones