Google Earth and Nav?

Last Updated:

1. Raon

Raon New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello
    I would like to know how i can access Google Earth and/or Nav on my N1. I'm located in France, all work fine, but i don't find those two app ;(

Advertisement
  2. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

Google earth isn't availible on the Android platform at the moment, and google navigation is US only

3. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member

Google Earth will be available soon though. It was shown at the Google press conference Jan 5th.

4. Sunflower1970

Sunflower1970 Active Member

Ahhh. I was wondering about that. I had seen it when I was watching the press conference, then when I got the phone, I was searching over for the app but couldn't find it.

5. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

didn't they show Google Earth as one of the big features??? wasn't it shows in the own of the early reviews or something? or am I thinking of the Google special on CNBC - "Inside the Mind of Google" ? :confused:

can't wait for the Google Earth!

PS - If you haven't D/L'd it yet... get Google Sky Map - I swear it's one of THE COOLEST apps for Android!!! Might even be cooler than Earth in some respects... i'm amazed at how it does what it does.... it's like an x-ray viewfinder of the sky - in REAL TIME!!!!

6. wankingweiner

wankingweiner Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Google navigation US only? Aw man :(

So us Europeans have no GPS on the phone?

7. Sunflower1970

Sunflower1970 Active Member

Yes! I d/l'ed Google Sky Map. It really IS cool. I'll play around with it at times when I'm bored.

8. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

I always forget to try it out at like - you know - NIGHT TIME!!! lol!! :D

would be great for us living in light POLLUTED cities - acts like a viewport into the heavens... :p

seriously though - it's so cool, how fast it is, how quickly it responds to the device positions... it's sick!

9. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

It has GPS, but just no turn-by-turn navigation at the moment, but that's not necessarily going to be the case forever. I bought this phone for its potential. If it can do it in America I see no reason why it can't do the same in Europe.

Although now I think about it, I remember someone mentioned the Google had licensed some of its maps to some sat nav firms or something? That is both very vague and probably completely wrong.

10. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

11. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

The reduced functionality is as follows:
    *No street name at the top
    *No arrow indicating next turn direction
    *Voice guidance is delayed, if at all present

So.... it doesn't work. Because without a direction arrow or voice guidance, there is no other way of indicating which way you should be going, is there?

Oh, my bad, of course there will be a line over the top of an aerial view of the roads indicating the route, right? Silly me!