• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Earth - any point?

Anthony1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2010
Luton UK
So I've pretty much hit the limit for installed apps on my Desire. Unless I root, which I don't really want to do, or get the official 2.2 update...which could take months and months given HTC's track record, I'm stuck with doing a spot of space management.

I've got Google Earth installed and it's far and away the most resource hungry app (22MB) Despite the fact that I really like it, as it's a pretty cool app, I'm wondering if it's of any use at all.

With google maps, places directory, Layar etc. I seem to have everything I need for navigation and generally 'finding stuff' I can't think of anything I actually need Google Earth for.

Does anyone have a genuine use for this app, can it do anything that I can't do elsewhere? 22MB seems like a lot of valuable space for an app that's just there for novelty value.

I've installed Google Earth. Great for showing friends but apart from that I don't use it.

It takes up a lot of space (22.5 mb). I uninstalled lots of apps just to try it out. I get a low storage message - even though I've deleted apps and appcleaner says I have over 100mb free.

I'll uninstall it in a few days- and wait until Froyo and being able to put it on the SD card.

Upvote 0
I have Google Earth on N1 with Froyo. With Last update that finally did add 'Move to SD' option for Froyo. While this works for other apps, it didn't seem to work properly for Google Earth. At least for me I didn't get any space back on phone after the move! So had to uninstall again because like many I am permanently at the limit; I've had to ditch all games and non-essential apps just to keep things going. I have contacted several games authors but the seem unwilling to add move-to-sd so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones