Google Earth - any point?

Last Updated:

1. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've pretty much hit the limit for installed apps on my Desire. Unless I root, which I don't really want to do, or get the official 2.2 update...which could take months and months given HTC's track record, I'm stuck with doing a spot of space management.

I've got Google Earth installed and it's far and away the most resource hungry app (22MB) Despite the fact that I really like it, as it's a pretty cool app, I'm wondering if it's of any use at all.

With google maps, places directory, Layar etc. I seem to have everything I need for navigation and generally 'finding stuff' I can't think of anything I actually need Google Earth for.

Does anyone have a genuine use for this app, can it do anything that I can't do elsewhere? 22MB seems like a lot of valuable space for an app that's just there for novelty value.

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Nope, waste of space if you ask me :p

3. Anil Sreedhar

Anil Sreedhar Well-Known Member

i hate to admit it but its a waste of space....

4. tanbe174

tanbe174 Well-Known Member

if you like it keep it. Though i think the google map is enough though and with the free navigation. One of the best app ever !

5. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

I agree with lekky, waste of space tbh, even on my desktop I don't use it, just don't see the attraction with it personally.

If you use it then keep it, if not then get rid of it.

6. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

It's not essential, but it is fun to play with and impresses others :)

Shame it's still not showing in the market for me!

Ian

7. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

It's about as welcome to stay on my phone as Google sky.

Great to show to dumb-phone users, but ultimately a waste of space.

8. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It seems the consensus is clear then. I'll keep a hold of the .apk until 2.2 comes, but until then it's just not worth the space.

Cheers.

9. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

My phone is telling me I have 14.9MB internal space but google earth is saying "can't write to data directory, maybe run out of disk space". anyone else having the same problem? Or anyone know why and how to fix it?

10. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

Don't know why but if Google Earth has an application cache (manage applications) have you tried deleting it?

11. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Data 0 and cache 0, the only option I get is to quit.

12. oatikodi

oatikodi Well-Known Member

I've installed Google Earth. Great for showing friends but apart from that I don't use it.

It takes up a lot of space (22.5 mb). I uninstalled lots of apps just to try it out. I get a low storage message - even though I've deleted apps and appcleaner says I have over 100mb free.

I'll uninstall it in a few days- and wait until Froyo and being able to put it on the SD card.

13. whereisaaron

whereisaaron Member

I have Google Earth on N1 with Froyo. With Last update that finally did add 'Move to SD' option for Froyo. While this works for other apps, it didn't seem to work properly for Google Earth. At least for me I didn't get any space back on phone after the move! So had to uninstall again because like many I am permanently at the limit; I've had to ditch all games and non-essential apps just to keep things going. I have contacted several games authors but the seem unwilling to add move-to-sd so far.

14. ReasonableMan

ReasonableMan Member

I've uninstalled and reinstalled GE so many times because of this. It's a slick app, but takes up way too much space. Why is that? The .apk is like 5mb, but then it takes over 20mb even with the cache cleared out.