Google Earth for stock 2.0.1 Droid

Last Updated:

1. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. General_Lee86

General_Lee86 Member

I saw that when I was looking on my droidforums.net forum account and I got it on my Not Rooted Droid and it works flawlessly on my non rooted droid. The only thing is I will warn people the file is pretty big at 22MB of data it will take up on your system memory.

3. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

Yeah that thing is HUGE take a lot of memory space once installed and for me, Google Earth on my phone is useless

4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Speaking of which, when is Apps2SD going to be developed for the Droid?

5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Congrats! I Googled "thread hijack" and the above post was their example. :D

6. breadnatty08

Oh man Joe, you must be getting tired :) Speaking of thread jacking, since we're on the topic, have you flashed the Ultimate 3.1 ROM yet? I'm about to give it a shot.

7. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

What ROM is that?

8. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Seems to work very smoothly but after a few minutes of flying around the map part locks up.

9. breadnatty08

That's Blackdroid's ROM over at AllDroid. I haven't flashed it yet, still pretty happy with BB 7.6.

10. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. I can see it in the market with BB 1.1, but not with a rooted stock 2.01.

Any ideas?

11. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Because it's only for 2.1 devices. I think Pete has some stuff in his build.prop file that tricks the market.

If you want to install on stock 2.0.1 (rooted or not), just follow the link in the OP for the .apk file.

12. AndroidsOfTara

Ah, I didn't pay enough attention to the original to notice it was a 3rd party download.

13. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Yep, same here.

14. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

where is the apk file?

never mind found it.

15. sevenstars

sevenstars Banned

16. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

What are you doing to make it run smoothly? Don't get me wrong, I anticipated it being a bit choppy and true to form, it's a bit choppy. Rendering is slow, especially after I added "roads" to the layers. But I think this is precisely why the DROID didn't get it in the first place. Honestly, these Google apps need to start utilizing the GPU more for rendering.

17. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Well-Known Member

Got it, thanks! It seems to work about as well as it does on my laptop. downloading the maps on demand seems to be the biggest slowdown, both on my LT and the Droid.

I wonder if I will be able to load my 'My Tracks" paths into the droid GE? need to play with it more...
    :)

18. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Tell me again what the point of Google Earth on the phone is? Frankly, what's the point of google earth at all? It's basically google maps, and we already have that.

19. AndroidsOfTara

20. sooper_droid12

That article basically said they're the same. Because gMaps added a bunch of that functionality in the latest iteration, i.e. more layers. The only thing it can't do is the rotating, MT thing... They should just combine the two. Sometimes, I think Google has different groups working on similar ideas releasing different, but nearly identical apps. For example, Shopper and Goggles. Really? Couldn't these just be combined with enhanced functionality? Earth and Maps should too.

21. sooper_droid12

*double post*

22. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

I personally like some the cross-over integration, while keeping two apps separate. If all you want is the satellite view with the turn by turn navigation, than just stick with Google Maps. If you want more of an interactive experience, go ahead and get Google Earth.

I think it would be more of a nuisance if the overlap didn't occur between some of the Google app products. I would personally hate to have to download one simply to gain one aspect of it.

Why don't they merge? It would hinder the production of both of them. Instead of focusing on one set of features and enhancements with a small team, you now effectively double it on both sides. More people, more differences of opinions, more problems.

Both apps are free, and Android format is open. You always have the option of not installing any app.

23. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

My Droid is completely stock and the only choppiness I experienced was when it loaded the first time and then when I went from my neighborhood to the capitol area in DC (which is fair for it to lag when it is swapping the imagery.) When I move around DC, it is nice and smooth. Now where are my 3d buildings!?

PS: It is a lot smoother than the iPhone version I saw on Jan 13th.

24. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I just did this (did not have to use Astro like they said) as the above links are dead, but I found the newest link with download file link (must visit it from your phone).

got it, works perfect on NOT rooted. Now, just want to import my local desktop KML files

This Google article helps explain some features not obvious

it is a big file, 25 whopping MB - and since we cannot install apps on our SD cards, I used MyBackUp Pro to backup the app incase I decide to erase it as then I will have it stored on the SD card. Since we cannot import KML files into it, and save them on the SD card, not sure how useful it is to me at this stage of the app.

In the end I backed it up and deleted it and in stead I just find out how to import my Google Earth KML files into My Maps on Google Maps and then in the Droid Maps app, I just went into Layers and viola... there are all of my maps.

25. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Yeah, loading KML in Google maps is pretty easy. I could see this poor thing just crumpling like a tin can if you started putting some of my kml/kmz files on it. It's the kmz that really kills it.