• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Earth??

screenamesuck

Jun 18, 2010
Well I got my Aria yesterday and I have a question. I've tried loading Google Earth onto my phone, but it says its not compatible with my phone. I thought Google Earth worked on any Android phone with 2.1??? Am I mistaken?

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to manually update the Firmware, PRL, etc... like you can on the other Android phones.

Any help would be awesome

um probably sounds like a dumb question but is google earth already installed?

Nope, you can get Earth on the Incredible, Evo, etc..., but not the newest one that is also on 2.1, just doesn't make sense. I also can't figure out how to get Live Wallpapers. There are none pre-installed and I tried downloading one, but can't get it to work either. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could it be because of the processor??

Upvote 0
well I don't think we will get live wallpapers till we get root, several reviewers out there have specifically mentioned that live wallpapers are not working on the aria. as for google earth not sure... will get mine tomorrow hopefully so will play around with it and see what I come up with.

Upvote 0
I've never used an Aria but from my observations, live wallpapers and Google Earth is restricted to high end phones i.e. Evo, N1, Inc, Desire, Droid (Snapdragon or similar graphics capability). Mid-range phones like Aria & Legend will not have these features probably because of hardware limitations.

The Aria has the same graphics capability as the Desire, Incredible and Evo...

Upvote 0
The Aria has the same graphics capability as the Desire, Incredible and Evo...

The Aria is running Qualcomm MSM7227 just like the HTC Legend. I doubt it is as powerful as the Snapdragon. Aria is basically a Legend with a different external casing. The Legend does not have live wallpaper or Google Earth support, my Hero running 2.1 doesnt either, I'm not surprised that the Aria doesnt.

Upvote 0
The Aria is running Qualcomm MSM7227 just like the HTC Legend. I doubt it is as powerful as the Snapdragon. Aria is basically a Legend with a different external casing. The Legend does not have live wallpaper or Google Earth support, my Hero running 2.1 doesnt either, I'm not surprised that the Aria doesnt.
He said graphics capability. The 7227 and the 8250 SoC's both share the same graphics core.

Upvote 0

The MSM7227 has the Adreno 200 in it and seems to be able to nearly match a Snapdragon in clock for clock performance but is clocked lower. The only true difference is the instruction sets they use. MSM7227 = ARMv6 whereas the Snapdragon uses ARMv7. The issue may be a case of Google limiting Google Earth to only handsets using an ARMv7 processor. Not sure why they'd do this unless it uses an extension that is only in ARMv7. I'll try to research it a bit and see.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think Ambictus explained the reason quite clearly in his post above.

He did indeed.

Perhaps I should have said "It would seem to be a hardware issue just as Ambictus explained above." No one, as far as I could tell, had yet tested Earth on the Aria, so I posted in support of Ambictus' hardware explanation. Manually pushing the app onto the phone clarifies that it isn't a Market issue, etc, but that the phone itself can not run Earth. I also thought people should know that root is possible now.

Upvote 0
He did indeed.

Perhaps I should have said "It would seem to be a hardware issue just as Ambictus explained above." No one, as far as I could tell, had yet tested Earth on the Aria, so I posted in support of Ambictus' hardware explanation. Manually pushing the app onto the phone clarifies that it isn't a Market issue, etc, but that the phone itself can not run Earth. I also thought people should know that root is possible now.

Actually I already pointed out that it was rooted as well, here...

I'm just giving you a hard time ;)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm also trying to get google earth on aria. I downloaded the android dev sdk and did an "adb install google_earth.apk" from a website given from a google search (to my htc aria I flashed to android 2.2). After running Earth it promptly returns to the home screen. Looking at aLogcat shows that it failed to load one of the .so library files that were referenced in the google earth code. I'm going to look into how this could possibly work. one thing I am going to try is loading the program from the command line with "am" - maybe I can get more flexibility over it that way.

DoYouKnow

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones