• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Experience launcher: Y or N?

Will you use the Google Experience Launcher?

• Yes

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters
Im yet to try it (i should really before rating it) but even then i think ill be a NO.
i already have Nova launcher set up so that a swipe UP gesture launches GNow.
As for the voice recognition launch, we all know im scottish so its pointless for me and (im yet to see evidence but) that must use a lot of power on non-moto phones surely?

Upvote 0
It's a little lacking in features. No custom sorting of the app drawer, no scrollable widgets, no unread counts.

The app icons are too big for my liking & I don't need a Google search widget fixed to the top of each page.

It is fast though. It reminds me of the stock AOSP Gingerbread launcher (which isn't really surprising). It's back to Sense 5 for the time being.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
no. Some of thee reasons mentioned in to post above. Ive become used to changing themes, 5x5 icon grid, hiding useless apps, and other features not allowed in the stock launcher. i also don't need the search widget on every page.

i think developers will find a way to integrate the google search page eventually. for now im sticking to nova .

Upvote 0
no. Some of thee reasons mentioned in to post above. Ive become used to changing themes, 5x5 icon grid, hiding useless apps, and other features not allowed in the stock launcher. i also don't need the search widget on every page.

i think developers will find a way to integrate the google search page eventually. for now im sticking to nova .

This pretty much sums it up for me too.

Upvote 0
I'm enjoying playing with it so far, but I don't know yet if I will stick with it. I definitely like it better than the pure AOSP Launcher.

Up until about a week ago I had been using (and loving) Aviate for a few months. I've started using the Cover lockscreen (beta) for quick access to my frequently used apps. Once the "new" of the GEL wears off I may go back to Action Launcher.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
See im pretty inexperienced with launchers tbh.
My 1st ever launcher was stock FroYo [edit: eclair], then Go Launcher. Go Launcher for a long time until i got my sgs3 and realised Go had serious lag so tried Nova Prime and fell in love, it does what i want and need. I did try the Go Teams "Next" launcher and although sexy it lagged so i suppose its function i look for in a launcher (i try to make it look pretty though)
I just cant see what GEL would give me so does anyone have a plus point over Nova Prime (bearing in mind that voice rec' just isnt a thing for me and that although im an android fanboy, im NOT a google fanboy lol)? :beer:

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
It's a little lacking in features. No custom sorting of the app drawer, no scrollable widgets, no unread counts.

The app icons are too big for my liking & I don't need a Google search widget fixed to the top of each page.
Sounds like it's not worth my trying, especially as I uninstalled the Google Search app.

Upvote 0

My sentiments exactly.

the google experience was not very impressive to me.....it was way too plain for me and not very customizable........

so yeah....meh:D

That's also how I felt. I enjoy having tons of options, and if I cannot customize it then I don't want it. Sometimes I think I enjoy tinkering with the phone more than actually using it for what it was made for.

Upvote 0
It gets a :thumbup: from me

The fluidity and Google now integration is schweeeeet.

I had to get used to the larger icons and having my home screen not be the center panel anymore, but after half a day that's what you're use to.

Had my N5 since the 4th, haven't put a different launcher on it yet, likely won't

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones