• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Experience launcher: Y or N?

Will you use the Google Experience Launcher?

• Yes

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters
It's fine, it's getting closer to how I usually have my device setup which can only be a good thing I guess.

That said the animation/app draw transition looks like it's missing a few frames, it almost looks like it stuttering, but it's just the way they've done the animation.

Nova is much better in that regard, it's smoother and faster.

Unless they fix that i'll keep using Nova Launcher, oh and I don't use Google Now so that's disabled regardless.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I got the OTA for 4.4 Friday afternoon, but since I was rooted with CWM recovery, it borked my N4 (Like I knew it was probably going to do, but that too is part of the "Google Experience", right? ;) ) So I flashed a stock copy of KRT16S, installed GEL and gave it a whirl.

I was un-whirled and un-impressed. I kept the new search, but GEL is now only a past experience for me. Sticking with Apex. Better the devil you know.

Upvote 0
I think launchers are a very personal thing... a really fundamental app like the keyboard.. i still havent tried GEL and i feel, as a geek, i should but the thing is that i KNOW id go back to Nova which i know how to make act and look however i want it to.
Does GEL have an "import" function to import your current launchers basic set-up (folders etc)?

Upvote 0
That just makes me so less inclined to try it lol.
I dont understand the horisontal swipe to get Gnow instead of a swipe up..... does it make sense when you use it?
i suppose it depends how much you use Gnow.
Being outside the US i probably dont use it enough for it to be a swipe to the left!

Well its an actual part of the launcher now ie fully integrated, so you don't have to open any app to get to it (swiping up opens the app)

Just think if it as one of the panes on the launcher, or a large widget

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I use GEL and its voice recognition extensively on both of my devices. Someone asked about battery drain- I've noticed none.

I don't regularly use the voice recognition, but I haven't notice any ill battery effects from having the hotword detection enabled.

That just makes me so less inclined to try it lol.
I dont understand the horisontal swipe to get Gnow instead of a swipe up..... does it make sense when you use it?
i suppose it depends how much you use Gnow.
Being outside the US i probably dont use it enough for it to be a swipe to the left!

I think the primary goal in placing Now as essentially a part of the homescreen was to increase it's exposure. I'm sure there are some people who don't know about about swiping up from the Home button - and many others with physical/capacitive buttons where that gesture doesn't work. For those folks, swiping off the homescreen may be more obvious or intuitive.

For me, I've long had a full-screen Now widget on one of the screens of my launcher, so this isn't really that big of a change and is actually a significant improvement.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I think the thing is that, in its present state, in my country, gnow really isnt worthy of one of my home screens, it doesnt tell me much that i dont already know :(
Its a shame because gnow was the #1 thing that excited me at the keynotes for JB but its been the biggest let down for me. I just wish they would expand current functionality across the globe before adding new features. Pisses me off.
At the same time i cant hate google because Earth and Street View just blow my tiny mind lol :cool:

Upvote 0
I think the thing is that, in its present state, in my country, gnow really isnt worthy of one of my home screens, it doesnt tell me much that i dont already know :(
Its a shame because gnow was the #1 thing that excited me at the keynotes for JB but its been the biggest let down for me. I just wish they would expand current functionality across the globe before adding new features. Pisses me off.
At the same time i cant hate google because Earth and Street View just blow my tiny mind lol :cool:

I like the swipe to the side for google now because before I would occasionally accidentally while hitting the home button would kind of swipe, or my phone would recognize it as that, then Gnow would pop up...annoying.

Now it works great with it being a separate screen.

Upvote 0
Take it youre on a nexus then bro? Im on a sgs3 using Nova Prime launcher and i have gesture UP set to launch Gsearch/Gnow but i have up gestures for each dock icon too. Camera/gallery for example :)

Yeah I am. I have rooted/romed this thing like crazy.

Surprised that it's still going haha. I have burned out 2 batteries though, I blame it on all the rooting :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones