• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google/Gmail/People Contacts not synced

slugbug

Jul 26, 2010
Longhorn Land
Sprint guy told me that when I added a Gmail account, that all my contacts would sync to that, etc. Problem - LOTS (ok - most) of the info I have on my phone for my contacts/People is NOT synced to my GMail contact info. My phone went funky the other day so I went to the laptop to grab a friends phone number and realized it wasn't there - only her email address. I haven noticed this with most everyone else, too.

I have read (and was told at Sprint) that at some point I'll likely have to do a master re-set and with the update coming next week, I want to make SURE all my info is stored somewhere.

What am I doing wrong, how do I fix this?

It appears as though the contacts on my phone are now synced to my Google Contacts on my computer, but then it didn't work the other way - I deleted a bunch of contacts I dont use anymore but they are still on the phone. Plus I have a bunch of duplicate, triplicate contacts on my Google account that I have linked on the phone.

Upvote 0
On the phone there are "phone" contacts and "google" contacts. Phone contacts don't sync to google, so you need to make sure all your contacts are google contacts. People/Menu/view will show you how many are phone and google.

When you add a new contact via the "add contact" button, you can choose phone or google. I'm pretty sure you can change a current contact from phone to google but can't remember how and haven't been able to figure it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones