• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Goggles = Amazing

Andrewdroid

Sep 28, 2010
Gotham
Just trying this out on photos of photos. And yes it works. These are my own shots taken with a DSLR, they are printed and hanging and I used my Captivate to photograph them off the wall. The first one I instantly re-tagged because I didn't realize the exact name of what I photographed.

Another way to do this is to use a flickr app, like "Just Pictures" that can push shots to Google Goggles for analysis, but I was just trying this straight from my wall.

Goggles by nyer82, on Flickr

G by nyer82, on Flickr

Goggles by

And it also works with other applications such as Gallery etc so you can send a shot directly to the Goggles app. I used "Just Pictures" to send my Flickr shot to the Google Goggles service. (Obviously works better than a photo of a photo)

Look at this one. It not only identified the Painting, The Artist, but also what building the painting was inside! Just based on the photo. I took this shot in 2006, and forgot to write down the painting name.

Highly recommend Just Pictures and Google Goggles.

Incredible by

Upvote 0
It works best on the "usual" tourist shot, especially the "usual" tourist angles. It has trouble with my shots that are unusual, or close-ups of landmarks (even if it's something famous like the Brooklyn Bridge). Just download it again and try it.

All the above shots are stuff that hundreds of other people have photographed so that's a clue right there.

Upvote 0
It's been working on so many things I've tried especially on old photos that I took with other cameras, so I don't know what you people are doing. Definitely worth it if I can figure out what paintings are and landmarks are. Try taking photographs of landmark photos from your screen, so you can get a sense of when it works and when it doesn't. It's been helping me tag my old photographs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones