Google/GPS maps laggy?

Last Updated:

1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I used the Droid/Google GPS over Christmas to get from Tx to Fla... smooth as butter. Satellite view of the route was amazing.

Since then I've rooted with SMUpdater and installed the newest Google Maps, as well as SetCPU, running at 800,000

I used the GPS yesterday and though it worked great, it was a bit laggy, took a while to fill in with satellite view from time to time, especially if I tried to zoom in at any point.

Is the rendering of the map reliant more upon the speed of the processor or upon the speed of the internet -- and could any of the updates or mods affected this?

Anyone else notice anything with maps?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I've been using Maps for the past two months. Haven't noticed any change at all, regarding speed. In fact, last night was the first time that I "Buzzed". (I'm no longer a Google Buzz virgin ... I feel dirty! :eek:)

I really think Maps are going to be very 3G and GPS dependent, especially 3G. Unlike a regular GPS, the DROID needs to download your map data in realtime, whereas typical GPS units have them installed locally. The pros to this for the DROID is that our information now will be as current as possible ... and free. No more annual update charges.

3. maheider

maheider New Member

Mine seems laggy refreshing the satellite view now too. I never had any issue before the recent update(s) to maps. I have good 3G coverage where I live, and even when stationary just moving about the map causes blocks of satellite image to be blank. Sometimes I have to zoom out then back in for it to pick up those blocks.

I plan to go on a road trip this weekend, and I will test whether anything similar happens as the gps tracks my movements.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

No, but I don't use the satellite view.

5. square

square Well-Known Member

i've noticed some lag in the recent updates.

6. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

When I was over clocked at 1 ghz it was lagging bad. Even with set cpu and the profiles and stuff. I went back to before I installed the 1ghz boot and it seems to work perfectly fine now. Not saying that's the reason but I use the gps like every day and I couldn't sacrifice that for overclocking