Google is testing cars that drive themselves

1. scrshaw

scrshaw New Member

Advertisement
  2. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting, but I don't think most people will be excepting of it. People either won't trust the technology or they will simply not want to give up their cars.
  3. I can see it now:

"HELP! Bricked my Honda Civic while rooting!!!"
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  4. Super_Six_Two

Haha. That's great...

I hope to never brick something that expensive.
  5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Accepting. You don't think most people will be ACCEPTING of it. Sorry, had to do it, the grammar nazi in my came out. But I agree with you. I don't WANT a car that drives itself, that take the fun out of it. I didn't buy an AWD compact then upgrade the swaybar for better handling and add a turbo kit for more power so I can let a computer drive me around. Besides, what am I going to do while it's driving? If I'm not looking out the windows, I get carsick as a passenger, so I won't be surfing the web or reading a bok anyways, still just staring out the window. Sounds boring as hell.
  6. j0hnh0lmes

j0hnh0lmes Well-Known Member

ME**

Nothing like correcting a grammar nazi. :p

I'd test one.
  7. Super_Six_Two

I actually appreciate that. I try my best to use proper grammar.

As far as your other comment, I think that sometimes it would be nice to have the car drive me. It would give me time to catch up on work or sleep. A lot of time though, I enjoy driving and I would want the freedom to take control.
  8. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Awesome^:D
  9. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

*book*
    ;):D
    Sorry, I thought it funny.

I need to be in control of the car I'm driving. Unless cars were on rails, I would have to drive, not be a passive passenger with a computer driving.
  10. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

Well, to be honest, I'd like it if every car was computer-driven. I'd hate it not to drive myself, but no more crazy people on the road would be awesome. No more people who talk on their cellphones or headsets, who smoke, who are drinking something, applying make-up or shaving, who are plain too dangerous, who are too old, too young, too tired, etc. That would be awesome.

Plus I'd be able to go where I want when I'm drunk. Although it might not always be a good thing. :p
  11. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

Finally!
    A drivable CyanogenMod :D

Although the trouble will start when British Islers start flashing their cars with Euro FW :eek:
  12. Hrethgir

Dammit, LOL! You got me! And right there in the same sentence! D'OH!
  13. Hrethgir

Crap! LOL, it is funny! See, this is why I don't usually go grammar Nazi, it always bites me in the ass!
  14. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Android driving then some moron texting and trying to drive at the same time.
  15. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Using Android to manage the major systems within a car is a logical extension to the operating system, at least in my mind. After all Micro$oft and Ford are putting SYNC in many of their cars... and SYNC will ultimately become for Ford what ONSTAR is for GM.
  16. SINCEREJ

SINCEREJ Member

Cosign
  17. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I'd prefer to drive my own car whenever I want. Sure if I'm on the highway on a long road-trip it would be convenient to have some sort of auto-pilot take over but I would HATE fully automated cars.
  18. ElasticNinja

Not to be silly or anything but... why Android?
    I would have thought some form of er proper linux would be better (eg the yet to be released MeeGo)
  19. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I'd suspect any flavor of Linux would do...although it's likely better if the version were commercially produced rather than community developed.

20. This. The idea just doesn't sit well with me.
  21. Hrethgir

Why do you say MeeGo is more "properly" Linux than Android? They are both Linux-based mobile OS's with other stuff on top, neither one of them is pure Linux. Now if you had said Red hat or any other versions of pure Linux, sure. But MeeGo=Android in the basic sense.
  22. scrshaw

scrshaw New Member

I first posted this because I thought it was an interesting way to show how versatile and powerful the OS that we have on our phones can be. But as far as actually owning one of these cars? No thank you. They'll have to pry my cold dead hands of the wheel of my beloved gas guzzling muscle car!

The amount of enjoyment I get when I floor it and hear that engine roar, the tires squeal and see the smoke from the tires billowing in the wind out the rear view is irreplaceable!:D
  23. ElasticNinja

I said MeeGo as its a mobile Linux OS that can run Linux apps
    Its also more resource optimised then most Linux distro's, thus more car friendly

:)