Google Latitude - running in the background?

Last Updated:

1. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good morning!

I've read several posts, but didn't find the exact answer I'm looking for...so sorry if I did miss the one that covers it.

I use Google Latitude with several friends, but have noticed that when I run it in the background, my last know location on the friends phone shows where I "stopped" but never updates.

Example: I leave my house with Google Maps/Latitude running and decide I want to listen to DroidLive. Once I switch to DroidLive it appears that Latitude stops broadcasting my locations and my friends see that I'm in the middle of a highway for 30-40 minutes until I kill my music and go back to the maps. Is this a known "bug" or is it something that just doesn't work?

I thought that the processes would continue to work, but I might be wrong. I also notice that when launching another app while in Google Maps that my GPS indicator also stops until I get back into the Maps.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

Thanks!!
    Shayne

Advertisement
  2. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

That's weird, mine keeps working. Though I don't use droidlive.

3. geekabilly

geekabilly Active Member

I believe it only works when Maps is in the foreground -- was the same on my Windows Mobile TouchPro as it is now on my Droid...

4. Backitude

Backitude Member

Google Latitude doesn't use GPS hardware when running in the background. You're left with either Wifi detection or Cell tower triangulation. I just published this free app however that is supposed to fill these voids by integrating with Google Latitude to update your location: Backitude