1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

google latitude?

Last Updated:

1. jddogg

jddogg Member This Topic's Starter

I'm just curious what the purpose of this is? How do you get other friends to show up with their locations? I feel stupid for asking but id appreciate if anyone coould give me a pointer or two :) thanks!

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

The Purpose: basically to share your location and to allow others to share their locations with you. An example may be: "Hey man, meet me out downtown at 8:00 tonight" "ok where you gonna be??" "Who knows at that point! :) Just follow me on Latitude and show up!"

How do you get other friends? It will use your contacts in Gmail naturally, you can open Latitude and invite them to share with you, once they accept, and ONLY when both parties agree to share, they will show up in your friends list.

3. ares

ares Member

Dunno how the reception is over there in the States, but the accuracy isn't good enough to 'meet up downtown'. It's usually half a mile off,

4. Wingzfan61

Wingzfan61 Well-Known Member

A friend of mines Husband uses it to spy on her and track her whereabouts.

5. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Here in upstate NY it works within a few feet...it's dead on!

As for your friend's husband...she had to accept it to be able to share her location. And if she needs a location based app for finding a divorce lawyer.

6. ryan_droid

ryan_droid Member

The trouble I have with Latitude is you have to leave Google Maps open the entire time for your location to be updated. Anyone know of a way to leave GPS tracking on while switching to another app?

7. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

There isn't one... Nor is there a way to force it to update more frequently. There is a HUGE discussion about it over on the google forum right now, but the google guys make it sound like that is just the way it is.

The idea for latitude is epic. The implementation is nothing but a complete disappointment.

8. paranoidducky

paranoidducky Member

hm so do you leave it open in the background and it just updates periodically or do you have to reopen it every time you want it to update?

9. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Another use, even if you don't want to share your location, is if you lose your phone, you can use latitude to get an idea where you left it.

10. gabbott

It updates automatically.

11. gabbott

On my moment I don't have to leave maps open for it to update my location.

Edit: I see it has been mentioned in the thread that necessarily isnt the case. Now I'm going to have to do some testing cause I have found I didn't have to leave maps open for it to update. Maybe it still updates, just at a lower frequency than when maps open.

12. paranoidducky

paranoidducky Member

hm that's interesting...so if no app has to be open for it to update does it install something that automatically tracks your gps all the time?

13. gabbott

Nod, something would have to be running in the background to update the location.