Google lowers upgrade price to $279

Last Updated:

1. cm40

cm40 Active Member This Topic's Starter

ENGADGET:
    Google lowers Nexus One upgrade price to $279, issues $100 refund to early upgraders -- Engadget

Advertisement
  2. pittsleyb

pittsleyb Well-Known Member

it might even be lower, $99?

3. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Oh man! Google getting desperate so early? Trying to diffuse the ticking time bomb of angry customers and messed up plan structures. Let's hope the rebates are an easy processes and not some tedious one!

4. cm40

i wouldn't exactly call it being desperate.
    I think it was mostly a T-Mobile decision seeing how they're the ones dealing with the upset customers trying to upgrade.

now if they dropped the phone price on all the options, that would be desperate on Google's part. (give a couple more weeks maybe?)

5. Mykpfsu

Mykpfsu Well-Known Member

Good for them, didn't think they'd react so quick. Now they just need to add family plan upgrades.
    But did I miss something? Wasn't the $379 upgrade price for people who didn't have a data plan and $279 the price for those with a data plan?

6. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

Yes i'm confused who was it that was getting that price to begin with.

7. cm40

8. Mykpfsu

Mykpfsu Well-Known Member

Yes that is what it is currently. But thats not what it was before. What it was before was:
    * Nexus One without service: $529
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for new customers: $179
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are adding data plans: $279
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are upgrading their data plans: $379

Google Announces the Nexus One phone - bargainshare.com

Existing T-Mobile customers won't get the $179 price for the Nexus One | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

9. cm40

maybe they just realized that people would cancel their existing data plans then upgrade?

i dont know. i'm done with this. i have a headache now. Either way I think I'll wait another week or two.

10. laughter95

laughter95 Well-Known Member

give me a rebate-- i paid fkin 530 for this phone

11. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member

In a few weeks it will be in Walmart for $99 dollars just like the Storm was. Only good thing with that is that at least you will have someplace to return it.

12. androidtx

androidtx Well-Known Member

people complaining about paying full price still don't seem to get that tmobile and google will still get more money from you if you "upgrade" to the plan if you were on a better grandfathered plan. I have 1500min family plan w/myfaves(basically for us makes unlimited family calling since we don't call many people regularly + android data, family texting, all for about $110 a month. I can't even come close to that now.

13. tonyguy2000

tonyguy2000 Well-Known Member

How many phones you have?

14. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

I've never done an upgrade before, and was wondering, when you upgrade, do you have to give back the old phone? Also, do you stay on the same contract, or does the contract go back to being 2 years (my current contract has 1 year remaining)?

15. lithium1330

lithium1330 Member

You don't have to give up the old phone, but if you are upgrading they'll put you in a new 2 yr contract. In your case, since you still have 1yr before contract expires, your upgrade options will likely be less appealing (i.e., paying more for the phone) than those who are either 22 months into their 24mo contract or out of contract altogether.