Google mail contacts

Last Updated:

1. cramman

cramman Member This Topic's Starter

I still haven;t come to terms with the fact that I am going to have to manualy enter all my contacts.

Normally I just blue tooth them.

No problem chance for a tidy up.

In my phone book I notice contacts in Google, SIM and phone. Is it possible to enter all my numbers and details into google contact then import them to the phone.

I assume that the ones on Google are the google contacts, which causes duplicates (tried the import thing anf now it's a mess)

Haveing the contacts all in Google isn't a problem, but, what if I have no network, on hoiday etc. How does it work? Does it store a local copy or something?

Just having them on my phone maks more sense but entering them using a computer would be easier.

Advertisement
  2. LaughingJohn

LaughingJohn Active Member

As I understand it (and I'm no exert, having just got mine today) the phone will sync with your google mail contacts, so yes you do get a local copy. I have entered my contacts into gmail and they have 'magically' appeared on the phone.

Hope that helps!

3. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

You should have only two kinds of contacts, 'sim' and 'Google'. The Google ones should sync between your phone and your Google account. For tips on syncing and importing, do a search on 'csv'.

4. cramman

cramman Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers.

That sounds spot on.

Just to confirm, if all my contacts are held on Google, and I turn of network and wireless will I still have my contacts?

I gather they won't just dissapear.

5. LaughingJohn

LaughingJohn Active Member

Correct.

Even if you hard reset the phone (which is like starting from scratch)or you change to a different android phone then all your contacts will be sync'd from gmail again so you never lose them or have to enter them again (as long you use Android or something else that can sync with Gmail).

6. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Yes if you sync your contacts from your gmail account, they will be available even with no network connection. Best bet is to either import them into gmail from your old phone as vcard files (I bluetoothed all my N95 contacts to my computer as 700 vcard files, concatenated them all together and imported the lot into gmail without problems) then you can export them once you're happy to back them up. Then experiment with getting them into the phone via syncing.

In the settings for the phone there's a syncing section, you may need to enable contacts sync in there, on my phone it initially synced fine but somehow this got disabled (not by me) so needed re-enabling.

If your calendar or contacts syncing gets goofed up at any point, you can go into the application manager, delete all data in the contacts and calendar apps, turn off the phone and re-start it, and it'll re-download everything from Google Calendar and your contacts, I've done this once or twice. For safety's sake first of all I back them up using the calendar and contacts export features of google's websites.