• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google map question

I know about the search function.
But rather than being in a strange place and having to type in:
search Wendy's
Search Burger King
Search AutoZone

I'd rather be able to search for food and see what's in the area. Basically the same function a regular garmin has.

Then I would suggest a 3rd party app like Where, Places Directory, White Pages, etc.

Upvote 0
open google maps and then hit the mic in top right hand corner, speak what you are looking for and it will show you all the locations in your area

When I try this, I see the mic button, but when I push it, it turns green, and nothing happens. When I push the search button (hard button above and left of the power button) I get the choice to input text ot use the mic, and it opens a window saying something like "speak now". But this doesn't seem to work on my Google maps. Any ideas... anyone?

One of the few things I miss on my old Instinct was the voice search. Well, maybe the keyboard also, but that is for a different thread.

Upvote 0
So I've been using google maps on my hero for gps directions and so far like it a lot. I was wondering if there's a setup like a garmin GPS where you can ask the GPS app to find local restaurants/theatres/stores/etc in the area?

w. google maps open at your current or specific location hit the search option( on menu or dedicaded key) then push the lil microphone in the right upper corner and whaa laaa! one of the best features on GM atm Speak it! he'll find it :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones