• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Map using Battery Life, even though it has not been used. (Since 4.1.0 update)

Since the last update to 4.1.0, I have noticed that Google Maps is using battery life, even though I have not used the Maps application.

Background, I am stock Motorola Droid on 2.0.1, not rooted. I updated to version 4.1.0 of the Maps app when it came out in the marketplace. Now, when I am completed with a charge, if I look at Settings/About Phone/Battery Use, the maps app appears in the list of things using battery life. In fact, 9 seconds after unplugging, it had used 9% battery power. At this point, I am 9m 23s since unplugged and the maps app has used 13% of battery life, but when I select the app, the use details say 0seconds.

Does anyone else notice this?

Thanks!

VandalDuck

The first day I updated maps I used it for about 10 minutes, exited out of it as I normally do and then went to bed an hour later with plenty of battery left and awoke to find my phone off due to dead battery. Haven't had a problem since? Now you may say how do I know it was maps that killed it since I could not check, and you would be right. But it was the only thing I changed about my phone that day, certain it was maps. Either way no problems since?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones