Google maps 5.0 caching behavior

Last Updated: 2010-12-22 14:35:21
  1. ecksdee

ecksdee Member

So I'm travelling to Florida soon for a vacation and need to use Google Maps without data. How exactly does the cache work? Is there a time limit for the cache to expire? I've experimented with getting an offline cache of an area I don't normally travel in, and so far (4 days in), the cache of that area has not been deleted, but I need to be sure that it will work for a longer period of time. Is there any easy method to pre-cache the map of a particular State/Province at every zoom level besides manually going through every area at every zoom level?

Having an entire city/area cached for an indefinite period of time would be very helpful.

TL;DR - I'm looking for a way to put an entire region with all its levels onto a SD card and have the app read that instead (or in conjunction) with the cache.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. ecksdee

ecksdee Member

Ok, so I figured out that the cache is already on the SD card under Android\data\com.google.android.apps.maps\cache, and that the cache does not automatically delete. It has to be done manually.

Now I have to figure out how to place an entire map in there =/. I'm guessing those files with "cache_vts_GMM.#" is what I'm aiming to get...but where do I pull them off from.
  3. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

subscribe
  4. titan2005

titan2005 Well-Known Member

hope this help a little
    Official Google Mobile Blog
  5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

YMMV, of course, but this sounds like a lot of hassle when there are apps that store maps locally.