• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps 5.0 now available

D

denialnw10

According to androidandme:

Recently changed in this version:

Tilting: Drag down with two fingers to tilt the map. Tilt while zoomed in on one of the 100+ cities around the world with 3D buildings to see a skyline spring to life.

Rotating: Twist with two fingers to rotate the map. After tilting to see 3D buildings, rotate around them to gain a new perspective from any direction.

Smooth zooming: Slide two fingers together or apart, and see the map and labels continuously scale to any zoom level, stopping when your fingers stop.

Compass mode: Center the map on your location, and then tap the compass button in the top right corner. The map will flip into 3D mode and start rotating to match your perspective, while still keeping all the labels upright and readable.

The HTC Desire supports panning, zooming, and tilting gestures only.

The thing that has diappointed me about this update is that, at the viewing distance when my phone is attached to my windscreen, the maps are now a lot less distinct. I often have maps on display with the traffix layer, to show conditions further along my route. This worked well with v4, but with this v5 update the roads and traffic indications are much less distinct. I hope that Google will provide an update for this.

Upvote 0
Just installed it, all seems fine, there don't seem to be any cache settings so God knows if there's an upper limit or whether it fills your card with map data :)

The compass seems to work ok, but I was indoors and various interference exists where I work, it's like a faraday cage. I got the tilt to work too.

All in all, an excellent update to the best Google app so far.

Upvote 0
Some people are saying rotate works some are saying it does not. It certainainly does not seem to work for me. Can we figure this out?

Just to be clear that we are all talking about the same thing. rotate is when you place thumb and finger on the screen then move them in oposite direction across the screen sideways in a twisting motion.

It was clearly stated that this was not going to work on the Nexus one ( or beta version of the Desire as I like to think of it :0) and indeed does not seem to work on my early unbranded AMOLED Desire running 405.2. So can the people saying it works for them confirm their specs inc SLCD/AMOLED and the circumstances underwhich rotate works for them? That way we can figure out if this is a misunderstanding, a software or a hardware thing.
thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones