Google maps and connecting to internet..

Last Updated:

1. Starko

Starko New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello ,
    i just bought my htc from 2 days ago and i am very pleased by the screen performance and the speed performance and the large amount of options and programs you get with this phone.

here is the problem , when i use google maps the mobile must connect to the internet to download the maps and this really cost me alot of money in my country , so my questions is ' is there an option or a way to download those maps using the pc and save them to my htc desire ?'

any help will be very appreciated , thanks.

Advertisement
  2. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

Hey.

Firstly welcome to the Android Forums :)

To answer your question... no you cannot currently download google maps data and store it offline, however there are other alternatives.

1. Have you heard of open street maps? Basically they are just user created maps but they are normally pretty accurate. Check them out at (OpenStreetMap). They are like Wikipedia except with maps but and especially if you live in urban areas and cities they are pretty good. There are numerous apps on the android market which allow you to download these maps and store them offline on your phone. Just search "offline maps" and use any of them. Plus, if any map data is inaccurate, you can simply edit it yourself. The downside is you obviously can't use google navigation with these.
    2. You could try a normal navigation program such as Copilot live 8 or NDrive etc which all allow you to store map data offline.

Hopefully this helps. Any more questions just pm me or reply back here and I'll happily help.