• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps and Goggles GPS Location Broken - Works in other apps?

victorhooi

Lurker
May 31, 2010
heya,

I have a Google Nexus One with a freshly installed Android 2.2 on it.

Google Maps (4.2.0) and Goggles were working fine earlier today (and yesterday), but for some reason, they seem to have become broken now.

Google Maps wouldn't find my location before - the GPS icon kept blinking,

I've then tried a Force Stop and Clear Data on Maps (via Settings, Applications) Now it won't even load, the application simply opens and they says "This application requires a working data connection (even though other things like the Browser work fine).

Google Goggles loads, but then the GPS icon keeps flashing the top-left corner, and it never shows any location-aware data, like it used to.

However, other things, like getting location in Twitter seem to work fine. Also, I installed the "GPS Status" app from the Market, and that seems to get a fix on satellites and report my position quite easily.

So from what I can tell, it's just Maps and Goggles that are acting up.

I can't seem to uninstall Maps or Goggles from the Settings, Application screen (they uninstall button is grayed out), so it seems like I'll have to reflash or something, which is somewhat annoying. Guess I'll see whether that Google Sync stuff really works...haha.

Is there any way to find out what exactly's going on? I'm hoping this is some software thing?

Cheers,
Victor

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones