1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Google maps and wifi only questionSupport

1. robertj298

robertj298 Well-Known Member

Here is my situation. I am renting a car in Ireland for 8 days next month. I can rent a navigation system for $10 a day or I can rent wifi with the vehicle for the same price. What I'm wondering is if I rent the wifi would the google maps and navigation system work just as well? Thanks Bob

Advertisement
    funkylogik likes this.
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Good question mate and I'd like to know the answer too.

All that worries me is how is the wifi to the car provided? Like is there a good chance you'll lose connection regularly?
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

Best Answer
    codesplice and funkylogik like this.
  4. robertj298

robertj298 Well-Known Member

I was told by the rental salesman that I would have a strong signal no matter where I went except in Northern Ireland, which I don't plan to visit. I'm wondering if the maps and turn by turn navigation system would work as well in Ireland as it does here in the U.S..
    funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I'd say yes :thumbsupdroid:
    But if it needs Internet access to work, I'd be wary of what the salesman is telling you because I strongly doubt that there's a cellular network that covers the whole of Ireland
    electricpete and Unforgiven like this.
  6. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

Well, you should be able to save the maps for Google Maps so you can operate offline. However I would probably recommend downloading HERE maps by Nokia which is built for offline navigation as a backup, if not your primary (and if you want really want to be sure, buy a physical road map).
  7. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste Guide

Yes to HERE or try Osmand+ which works completely offline using Open Streetmaps data. (Southern) Ireland, Eire, does not have anything like complete data coverage..
    electricpete likes this.
  8. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

If Ireland is anything like Cornwall (SW of the UK) for a mobile signal then you'll be lucky to get a voice signal in the more rural places. Any wifi they have in the car will just be a 3G/4G dongle for the car (I presume) that lets your phone/laptop connect to it via wifi. No mobile data - no interweb connection - no Google maps. So, as others have suggested, install an offline maps solution. I've got Here maps and CoPilot installed. Prefer Here but your best bet would be to try to find a forum where the best solution for Ireland has been discussed.

Dave
  9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

I finally accumulated enough Play Rewards credit to buy this for North America yesterday. I used my N7 (no cell, no tether to my phone) and tried it around my location. Worked perfectly even when rerouting and taking less than common routes. I was impressed with the speed at which it rerouted.
    funkylogik likes this.