• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps app came with others that I can't delete

EdNerd

Feb 2, 2011
I downloaded the Google Maps app (only because everytime I tried to access Maps through the browser it failed and killed the browser!). Now I also have three other apps: Latitude, Places, and Navigation.

I have no intention of ever sharing my location through my phone. I reluctantly have some rough GPS turned on only because some apps (like my weather app) won't work without it. Yah, a lot of today's stuff is all about sharing - but I decline to participate.

But these three apps, while they show up in my app drawer, do not appear in the app manager for deletion. How do I get them off my phone?

(I'm still running 2.1, if that makes any difference.)

Ed

I downloaded the Google Maps app (only because everytime I tried to access Maps through the browser it failed and killed the browser!). Now I also have three other apps: Latitude, Places, and Navigation.

I have no intention of ever sharing my location through my phone. I reluctantly have some rough GPS turned on only because some apps (like my weather app) won't work without it. Yah, a lot of today's stuff is all about sharing - but I decline to participate.

But these three apps, while they show up in my app drawer, do not appear in the app manager for deletion. How do I get them off my phone?

(I'm still running 2.1, if that makes any difference.)

Ed

They are built into the phone. They want to know what everyone doing and accounted for. In case you are up to no good.

Upvote 0
Don't see how they were "built into the phone" - I never saw them until I donwloaded the Maps app.

Not sure I buy into the consipracy theory, either. There's just a general cultural shift towards sharing everything, including location. There's some upsides - like apps that can find your phone you _if_ you have locations turned on. And some downsides - like apps that can stalk you. But even if "they" know where my phone is, "they" still don't know what I'm doing.

Ed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones