1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google maps as a car locator, no can do?

Last Updated:

1. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, it seems logical you could use Google maps as a car locator for parking. BUT I see no way to mark the position your at. Like, drop or leave a push pin marker with a long press when you are at your location.

Am I missing something?

Advertisement
  2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I may be missing whatever you are missing but found no way to do that either.
    I installed Carrr Matey a while back, it works pretty well and who doesn't love a pirate theme?

3. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Well-Known Member

Agreed, just get Carrr Matey

4. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Google "My Tracks" does the trick - you can even overlay the satellite view and really see where your car is parked. Hit "record" when you leave your car, and it will record the path you've taken until you stop recording. Then, just double back over the path it shows. I used it at the airport last month just for giggles when I picked up a friend. Of course, it could get interesting if you park in a multi-story garage.

5. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Just press on the map near you, and add a star to that location.
    Zoom in as far as you can, long press as close to your position as you can, touch the pop up, top right corner is a star, touch it.

6. Lock-N-Load

I have one I have tried, but heck, why have another app when GM should totally be able to do this.

I use the hell out of My TRacks. Almost daily. Only thing is the "double back" concept. The nice thing about GM is you can set it to give you "walking" directions back to a spot. MT can't really do this.. unless maybe you send it up to MyMaps.. but it just becomes convoluted process.

okay, now there is something I will try. Can you erase a star/favorite later and I assume can you get driving - or "walking" - directions to stars/favorites?

7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Also Car Locator...worked better for me than the Matey program (though I happened to love the pirate metaphor w/Car Matey....) :)

8. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Yes, just touch the star and click the pop up to unstar it, navigate, or what ever you want.

9. Lock-N-Load

trying it now, but as I see it, not worth the money after the trial ends when something like GM has the main functions available. the sonar feature is cool and so is the stop watch, but neither is needed.

cool, thanks for the info. I will give it a whirl.

10. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

If you're parked on a street and have a good GPS signal, starring the location in Google Maps and using walking directions to return would work well enough. But if you have no GPS signal (a parking garage), or are in an area where Google Maps sees no streets (a theme park parking lot), something like Carrr Matey with its compass mode and harbor feature is far more useful, though I find that the scribblings on the harbor screen tend to deteriorate (I go back to them later and they're partially erased).

11. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

what about this...

take a picture of your car where you parked, then when you want to find your car open your gallery, view the pic, and click menu > more > show on map ?