Google Maps: Best Nav app ever

Last Updated:

1. Joserv23

Joserv23 Guest

Ten times better than Garmin or TomTom. Speech recog, Super fast and accurate on my HTC Incredible.

2. manjohnny

manjohnny New Member

google map navi takes ages to find location. eg. I arrived at my location and navi was still " waiting for location "
  3. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

Sounds like a GPS problem on your end. I have never had that issue using my phone while mounted on the dash of a Jeep Cherokee (good view of the sky) and Miata (really good view of the sky)
  4. Art Smart

Art Smart Member

The last version of Google Maps (5.5.0?) worked beautifully. Absolutely loved it.

A couple of days ago, I updated it to 5.6.0. What a disaster!

Now I can't get any directions. Whenever I start the process of asking for Directions, it pauses for a second or two, and then I get the message: "Sorry! The application Maps (process has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

The loss of being able to get directions makes this app utterly worthless to me. It's a tremendous loss of functionality.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing cache, power down, power up, and I've done each of those multiple times. I've wasted so much time with this problem, I'm loathe to ever download another update to any other Google app. Trust me, if I can ever get Google Maps to work right again, I shall NEVER download another update. Period.

I don't want to reset to factory settings because of all the additional time that will waste, and doing so might not even solve the problem.

How do I roll back to 5.5.0 or fix the problem with 5.6.0? Again, I've already tried clearing cache and uninstalling/reinstalling. Please give me an idea I haven't tried. Thanks.
    --- Art

Device: G1
    Carrier: T-Mobile
    Country / Language: US/English
  5. Art Smart

Art Smart Member

Okay, I did a Factory Reset, and I even unmounted and reformatted my SD card. Factory Google Maps runs fine. But when I downloaded and installed Google Maps 5.6.0, I get the same error. Obviously this version of the software doesn't work with T-Mobile G1 phones. Period.

A new version of Google Maps is needed that runs on G1 phones. If it doesn't come reasonably soon, I'll trade in my G1 for another smart phone and never buy another Android product.

This Google Maps update turned me from an extremely happy Android customer into an extremely unhappy one. I hope they fire the programmer who did this.
  6. fmech

fmech New Member

not bad, but not always handled correctly sound
  7. Budapest

Budapest New Member

Hi fellows,

I am going to make a whole summer bicycle tour in Europe. Please recommend me offline maps which fulfill the most of my requirements:
    1. contain preferably every road suitable for bicycle
    2. contain places of interest
    3. contain information on relief, preferably a contour-map
    4. contain positions of camping sites
    5. contain railways and stations
    6. contain probably locations of shops
    7. preferably whole Europe or countries of western and central Europe
    I am going to use it offline on Samsung Galaxy Ace (Android 2.2) on a 32 GB micro SD card. GPS compatibility is not a must.

Great thanks in advance if you can help me! Bye!
  8. i like google map,it is enough for me
  9. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

You are taking this to a little too extreme. Take a chill pill, its just google maps.
  10. edytwinky

edytwinky Well-Known Member

I second. I use Google Maps if I'm ever needing some GPS. It works great for what I need
  11. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

Did you actually go to the market and download street view app? It is seperate from Google Maps. Also, dont forget not every town or city offers it.