• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps Directions are WRONG- Help please!

Hey everyone~ Looking for some help here with Google maps.
Phone= Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket AT&T

So today, I tried to map from my work to a jobsite location and all went well. I typed in my location. 4g was turned on, GPS enabled.... Location found, clicked navigate and started driving (had a general idea where it was, but I use gps alot anyhow just incase I decide to detour).

As I was heading down the road, I noticed my icon didn't have a blue line "path" to follow as it usually does. So I zoomed out and realized that the location that it gave me directions from was nowhere near where I was, and wasn't "re-routing" to my location.

The GPS location arrow shown of me was correct.
There were directions, but were not from the location that I was at?

I tried closing the app and redoing the GPS nav but, it gave me the same results. Re-started phone and tried again, same results but different starting location. When i got home from work today, I tried to do it while hooked to my wifi with the GPS on at home. It did the same thing. It showed my location correct but pulled directions from about 10minutes away down the street and never "re-routed" or updated to my current location?

Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

I've never had Maps do that to me, but I did have a Garmin drive me around a parking lot (I left the lot and ignored it until it finally rerouted.) And I've had a Magellan send me past where a street ended. (And it wasn't the bulldozer verion of Magellan.)

The "normal" route (the one Maps prefers) out of my development to almost anywhere is down a pretty busy street. I always go the other way, through less-traveled streets. It usually recalculates by the time I finish turning the corner the "wrong" way.

GPS almost always works. But like any computer algorithm, sometimes it's more of a joke than a help. That's why any instructional material on using a GPS tells you to rely on common sense more than on the GPS. If you follow it blindly you could end up in someone's living room. And, as with everything when you're behind the wheel of a 2 ton lethal projectile, don't try to "fix" it while you're moving - pull over somewhere first.

BTW, if you use Maps, you'll love MyDirections. (It's free at Play.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones