• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps draining battery

D

Deleted User

Recently Google Maps has been killing the battery. 25% is caused by Maps, 16% by location services. This happens even when I haven't opened maps since the last restart.

I need maps on my phone, but also need the phone to hold a charge longer than 3 or 4 hours. I disabled all the location settings in maps, but that didn't help. I'm out of ideas and about to try freezing the app in titanium until I need to use it again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You're the second person this week whose complained about Maps draining their battery. The other guy had a different device though. What version of Maps shows when you tap on Settings, About with Maps open?

v 6.14.4 (#6140400)

Found a possible fix on Youtube. Try a Factory Reset. It worked on an S4 I'm pretty sure it will work on a Nexus running Jellybean. Factory resets fix so many issues I always wonder why people are so hesitant to do them.

They're kind of a pain, even though I have Titanium Backup on my rooted Nexus. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Google Maps today to see if that works, just because it's easier. Then if it doesn't, I plan on flashing a newer version of AOKP to my Nexus soon, so I'll do a Factory Reset then.

Just for clarification, the factory reset does not wipe my media, correct (just apps and app data)? I always get that and whichever one does confused.

Upvote 0
I've noticed some strange battery drainage this past week and came to check the board for some some help when I saw this post. Before looking here, I had just charged my phone and it went down 30% in less than 15 minutes.

So I cleared the cache from the Maps app, booted into recovery and cleared the cache and dalvik cache there. It seems to have fixed the problem. My phone's been off the charger for an hour now with a few texting, and it's still at 95%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones