Google Maps for Android Gets Biking Directions, Navigation Shortcut, Sharing, and MorGeneral

Last Updated:

1. KarateExplosion6

KarateExplosion6 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen more than a few users in the OTA section commenting on the new Navigation Shortcut for Google Maps. This is NOT part of the OTA, per se, but is due to a Google Maps for Mobile update that coincidentally debuted today.

This is from the Official Google Mobile Blog:

Advertisement
    Larzdj323 likes this.
  2. Proph

Proph Well-Known Member

anyone else have trouble downloading the update this morning? i tried to download the update for google maps, it said download failed (3g is fine where i am , in fact i had downloaded the magnet detector app right before) then i got a couple of phone calls and couldn't hear the person. tried calling myself from my work phone same thing. i had to restart the phone twice for it to go back to normal. don't know if it was because of the failed update or what.

3. Bluayez

Bluayez New Member

I'm getting download unsuccessful too.

4. Proph

Proph Well-Known Member

that makes me feel a little better. in the google support forums i see people who were able to get the 4.2 update complaining alot of it doesn't work, perhaps google is blocking the update on the market place until they can fix the problems.

5. dragonbro

dragonbro Well-Known Member

Just got the update notification, tried to update twice......download failed?

6. bekind

bekind Member

Interesting. My wife and I both got the updated maps at some point through the night as it was waiting for us this morning. However we were pushed the update as an OTA, we did not download from the Market.

7. chris22

chris22 Active Member

Yep, I can't get it to work either. Ugh.

8. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

It failed for me a couple of times, but I was able to get it after a restart.

9. donaldb1986

donaldb1986 Active Member

I updated yesterday and had no problems.

10. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Well-Known Member

Updated today on rooted 2.1. Download went smoothly, but installation took around 5 minutes.

11. MadJeff

MadJeff New Member

Failing here too, I've been trying all morning without success. "Download Unsuccessful" message...

Currently running 2.1v3

12. dk7pdx

dk7pdx Member

Me too! ... What the kcuf? ... FIX IT!

13. lessit

lessit Well-Known Member

Well, you gotta be on a 2.1 first, right? Downloaded and installed fine for me. Have to do a reboot though for the Navigation Icon to show up. Works real nice.

14. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

I had the same issue when trying to download, does anyone think this might be related the official 2.1, and we happen to be on leaked versions? In other words I think we'll get it when we get our OTA's.

15. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this is why the update was pulled from the market. I couldn't find the Navigation app and rebooted. Still no app. Then, I uninstalled/reinstalled the update, and the Navigation app showed up.

16. Larzdj323

Larzdj323 Member

I just updated...and WOW! They included Avoidances! Since I live next to 2 different tollways, and many of my non toll routes are quicker, or I just don't want to pay to use a road, I can finally choose to avoid these pesky routes! It was really annoying for a while, every time I had to go somewhere, it would select a toll road, and alternate routes were usually not available.

One quick note...it doesn't allow you to save the avoid tolls preference as a setting in the application, you have to apply it every time you put in a new navigation route...i hope they fix this!

17. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member

Sweet, biking directions. That's awesome as I bike to work each day (currently 15 miles one way, 25 miles starting May 31st).

I currently use my tracks in order to record my biking stats (average speed, average moving speed, total time, moving time, etc...).

I love my Eris, and this is just going to make it even better.