1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Maps Frustration

Last Updated:

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Android Maps nicely syncs starred locations between Google Maps and Android device (N1 in my case). But there is one simple thing I can't figure out how to do, and it's hard to believe that it's not possible. The following illustrates the issue:

Imagine that I have two friends, one named Dave and one named Steve; Dave lives at 100 Cedar Street and Steve lives at 100 Maple Street but I can never remember which is which without looking it up in my Contacts. I'd like to go on to Google Maps and create two Starred locations to sync with my Android device; I'd like to label the one for 100 Cedar Street "Dave's House" and the one for 100 Maple Street "Steve's House" so I can go right to the Starred locations on the Android device and see the labeled address. As best I can tell this is simply not possible because, on Google Maps, looked-up addresses can be Starred but not edited while Pins can be edited but not Starred.

Is there a way to do what I want, which seems an obvious and simple move that would be much wanted?

Advertisement
  2. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

If you go to google maps on your comp, you can create and save 'My Maps' instead of starred ones. They can be named and accessed on your phone in the layers list.

3. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

The "my maps" is probably the best solution to what you are looking for, but I am still trying to understand the situation. If you want to know what street Dave lives on, why not look in your contacts. Then if you cant remember where Dave's street is, then click on "show on map". That seems much quicker to me, but again, maybe I don't understand this entirely.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I like the app Nav Launcher a lot, and I think it'll solve your issue nicely. It allows you to easily look up Contacts, but also allows you to setup Favorites and create your own "Destination Name". Try it, it's free.

5. Lobalobo

Hadn't thought about Layers, but so long as Pins show up on the phone in My Maps accessed in Layers, this will work, and I'll try it. Would be simpler, though, if a created Pin could be a Starred location; then I could have only one map (all I need) and look just for Starred sites. Thanks.

6. Lobalobo

Yes, that would work if all I wanted to do was see a single location, but it would be simpler, but the mention of two addresses in Contacts was just illustrative. I'd like the option to have a self-created Starred location on a single map without having to create a Contact for every location. I like to keep my Contacts uncluttered. This is not a big deal, and the Layers solution suggested by another post, seems a good one. But it seems that it would be trivially simple for Google Maps to permit Starring any self-created Pin, saving the user some steps.

7. Lobalobo

Will do. Thanks.