• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps: Google Maps + Android - Wife Complaining = WIN

Qbfinest83

Apr 8, 2010
I love this app it has saved me from getting lost so many times. This has also help me not having to listen to my wife "your lost stop for direction"

Navigation
One feature I want to talk about thats in beta and I found out by accident is turn by turn navigation. All you do is get direction and you will get a option to use Navigation. Its so nice and easy. Best of all if you have your GPS turned off (as I do to conserve battery life) it will take you to settings to turn it on.

maps-navigation-start.jpg

navigate.jpg

Traffic
This option is nice but its not really up to the minute traffic information. Got stuck in a traffic jammed that showed cleared but does work sometimes.

Voice
Searching by voice is a great option to make you you pick the right address. I would say that the voice option gets about 95% right but the other 5% could kill you however I find myself using this search option more then typing since its suppppppppppper fast.

search-by-voice.jpg

Pro tip: Use the car dock when your in the car even if you dont have a car dock. All the main button are really big and its easier to click on which helps reduce you looking at you phone alot which will help reduce accidents.

car-dock.jpg

This is a must have if you like me and dont like to stop to ask for direction. I love the fact that you can have GPS off and when you need directions GMaps will let you turn it on. Oh best of all its FREE. If you want a video demo here is one from Google.

YouTube - Google Maps Navigation (Beta)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones