Google Maps GPS PhreakoutGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Berwyn Bill

Berwyn Bill Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm driving on I-294 outside of Chicago and bring up Google Maps to check the traffic on the expressway. To my surprise it shows my position dot and nothing around it. Puzzled, I zoom out to find I'm smack in the middle of Easter Island. Yep, the place with the giant stone heads in the middle of the ocean. I try resetting the map, rebooting Google maps... still Easter Island. I power down the phone and reboot it and though it takes forever to lock in, it's correct now.
    Fast forward a couple of days and I bring up GM and there I am in good ol' Mexico. WTF!?! Same story, won't believe I'm not south of the border until I power down and back up.
    It's happened a number of times now (no place as exotic as Easter Island though) and it's getting aggravating as hell. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Advertisement
  2. HuskyKMA

HuskyKMA Well-Known Member

Yesterday mine was saying I was somewhere in rural Texas. This morning it was Twin Falls, Idaho. I live in Seattle. I don't know what's up, but it seems to be working okay right now.

Edit: Whoops! Just checked and evidently I'm in Salt Lake City right now. :eek:

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I had this happen to me one time. I was apparently in Portland for some reason. It turned out to be an app that I had just installed that was messing with it. I uninstalled the app and restarted. It has worked fine ever since.

4. timmywa

timmywa Well-Known Member

My wife was showing up in northern british columbia when we were heading east out of Spokane, WA. Nothing we tried worked. Couple hours later in Montana, it worked itself out. Quite frustrating.
    Otd, what app was it?

5. mattjphoto

mattjphoto Well-Known Member

Mine says I'm in the house next door.

6. OfTheDamned

Sorry, I don't remember what the app was. I'm kind of an app slut. I install a lot and delete a lot.

7. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member

The EXACT same thing happened to me a few days ago. Easter Island first, then the tip of one of the Mexican peninsulas. I think the app that could be to blame is called Mobile Defender... I donno this for sure but I installed it a day or two before Eater Island. Those are the only GPS freakouts I've had so far but then again I don't use Google Maps very often.

8. WARRIIOR

WARRIIOR Well-Known Member

Get out of my house.

9. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member

GPS Status was the app that screwed things up for me. Everything ok after a reboot then if I launched that app, until the next reboot the maps was screwed up again. Uninstalled. GPS Test does the same and more and no problems noted.

10. dhrandy

dhrandy Well-Known Member

Mine was saying I was in another state yesterday. Today it can't get my location.

11. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Mine was putting me at a location where I had been several hours before. The directions that it was giving me were correct, but on Latitude, it was telling my old location.

It worked after a reboot.

12. trekgraham

trekgraham Well-Known Member

The worst my gps has done is other part of town. But normally in navigation it shows me 50-100 ft off the road on the more country roads. But again I'm on a different phone. My friend just got an Eris and loves it even though he hasn't downloaded anything yet. Next month his brother is getting a motorola droid.

13. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

i remember doing the *228 and option 1 and 2 to fix mine.
    i think i turned the gps off and on also.

14. Berwyn Bill

Berwyn Bill Member This Topic's Starter

LOL! I did take the time to go to Satellite view of Easter Island and look for the heads. You can kind of see them and the shadows they cast.

I've never had Mobile Defender but do have a number of apps that could be culprits. The only apps I installed around the time of the problem starting that have permissions for location were an update to Movies by Flixster and the Directv app to set my dvr. I'll uninstall Movies first and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll start cutting out more.

15. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

rofl@this

Hey this has nothing to do with this thread but I wanted to ask OTD, when root becomes available will you be rooting??

You seem to be an expert on most things(almost all) eris so i was curious

16. OfTheDamned

Thanks, but I am by no means an expert. As to root, I have not made up my mind yet. Part of me really wants to, but I will have to weight the pros and cons once we have both root and 2.1.

17. n1ghtwish

n1ghtwish Well-Known Member

wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who got punked by Google maps yesterday...

I live in Las Vegas and I was trying to get to a buddy's house and according to Google, I was in Barstow, CA.

It's NOT April 1st yet!!!!

18. goofdad

goofdad Well-Known Member

Damn ... you mean that wasn't you I saw walking down the street in Portland last week?

Oh, wait ...

Would have been nice if it was, tho ... Portland is not -that- bad.

19. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Mine says im in delaware....

Oh shiiii

its right

20. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

Mine said I was across town earlier