• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps - how much bandwidth does it actually use?

DarkSky

Feb 22, 2010
Here in Canada we don't have unlimited data plans ($25 for 500MB on Telus), so obviously of big importance is how much bandwidth a GPS system like Google Maps actually uses, when it streams it's content.

Right now my option is to stick with Motonav, but I won't be buying it - it's 99EU, PER AREA, *EVERY 2 YEARS!* The funny part about Motonav is their site says the 99Euro is for the 'lifetime of the product' and then further down they define 'lifetime' to be 2 yrs. Haha. :p

Anyway... has anyone done a test with Google Maps from start to finish on say a 1hr trip and recorded how much data it uses? (maybe use an app like NetSentry which records used 3G and WiFi bandwidth) I'm not sure if Google Maps uses like megs per minute, or just a few kb per minute. I only get 500MB/month on my plan so if anyone knows if this is feasible, for a few trips per month using it...

I plan to buy the Milestone and will likely use the GPS feature, before I decide on the exact same plan as you sound like you are on (500MB), how much is it using per/whatever? If you could tell me. Thanks.

I've never used GoogleMaps because it doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation here in Canada. Right now I use CoPilot. One time fee and the maps are stored on the phone, not streamed. Much more confusing than GoogleMaps though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones