Google Maps in compass mode?

Last Updated:

1. Lefthand

Lefthand Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has already been answered, I couldn't find one.
    Is it not possible to view Googlemaps in compass mode, I mean in map view, not streetview. Like on the IPhone?

Advertisement
  2. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

Run Google Maps and then press

Menu > Map Mode and you can select either Map, Satellite or Traffic mode.

Hope this helps,

Chegs.
  3. Lefthand

sorry, that wasnt what I asked. I wanted to know if it was possible to actrivate the compass in map view..
  4. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I could be being stupid here, but on google maps, up is always north?
  5. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

He means something like this, Compass

Good question i would like to know this as well cause the Hero does have a digital compass.
  6. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Goto "spare parts" scroll to bottom, check "show compass in maps".

If you have "spare parts" it will be with your apps.
  7. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

Spare parts has a bug - even though you tick show compass it forgets the setting.
  8. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

In the video the feature is shown at 44 sec mark, is that what Spare part is suppose to duplicate? OP didn't mean a compass being shown on the google maps. oh well i give up.
  9. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Doesnt work for me.
  10. phillevy

It seems evident that the Android version of Maps doesn't support compass mode, making it even more inferior to the iPhone version (we already know it doesn't support multi-touch). Remind me, who is behind "maps" and Android? I thought they were one and the same:rolleyes:
  11. phillevy

Just found this official response on Google support forums - after may postings asking what had happened to Compass mode they said:

Compass:
    Apologies as I may have misunderstood what you were speaking about. I believed you were referring to "Compass mode" within Street View, where the image rotates based on the phone's compass; this is still included in 3.1.x. I now understand that you were referring to an actual compass on the map. This only appeared if you had installed the separate Spare Parts app that created a compass on-screen. This was not part of the pre-installed native Maps app originally and was never an officially supported feature of the Google Maps app.

Spare Parts uses some protocols that are non-standard and unsupported; therefore, the features that Spare Parts created are not compatible with the new version of Maps in Android Market.

We've certainly heard you on the popularity of an on-screen compass and will take a look at this feature. Apologies again for the confusion. Please let me know if you're referring to something else without having installed the Spare Parts app.

So - there you have it:mad:
  12. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Wait, you're saying that:
    1) the Spare parts thing is supposed to superimpose a compass rose&needle onto the map
    and that
    2) Google Maps already orients the map according to compass reading
    ?

I follow you on (1) so if it's experimental, that's okay if it doesn't work.

But regarding (2), I have never seen Google Maps point North anywhere but up. I'm on a semi-broken Galaxy so that may be the reason, but maybe I missed a setting somewhere? :confused:
  13. phillevy

Answering the 2 questions
    1. Spare parts did supermpose a compass on the previous version of maps but is incompatible with the latest version.

2. No it just points North/up - no integration with built in compass whatsoever (unless you go into street view):mad:

We just have to hope it is implemented in the next version.
  14. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

wow

you keep putting up those really mean looking angry faces - are you really THAT mad??

just try to understand, android is a work in progress - and we're all "early adopters" in a sense
    :(
  15. phillevy

Absolutely but the iPhone version has it so why can't a Google based device when they make the app?
  16. daveybaby

It is kind of bizarre. Android phones have had compasses in them since the G1 (i think... the magic definitely has one though), the iPhone only just got one with the 3GS, yet the iPhone version has the compass functionality in it and the android version doesnt. Bah!
  17. phillevy

I thought the big advantage that Android had over iPhone was that apps could address functionality at operating system level, so it really is strange that one of Google's own apps is not doing this. I would assume that maximum functionality would be with a Google app running on Android.
  18. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

hey.. post (or PM me) the URL to that

i'll add my "me too" to that thread - let google know we want the compass over here in the android world
    :)
  19. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

Here ya go!?!

[​IMG]

Cut this out, stick it to the screen of your Hero and everyone's a winner!!

Chegs.........turning sad faces into happy ones :D
  20. phillevy

Thanks - that will save embarrasment when an iPhone user gets a peek at our screen - until we get a proper one:)
  21. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

Its a shocker that a google phone wouldn't support a GOOGLEMAP feature! Rubbish!

I'm guessing its the current andriod phone hardware specs that are limited this feature?
  22. Lefthand

Ok.... I take it the answer is no then?
  23. bunt83

bunt83 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Hero DOES have compass mode.

1. Go to google maps
    2. Long press a point on the map to bring up the address
    3. Click on the address and select street view
    4. Press menu and select compass view

Voila! (or am I missing something)

Impress your iphone buddies with this feature, I've shown a few ppl and their eyes nearly popped out of their sockets!!! :D

It SHOULD be easier to use this feature, but it's included!!
  24. phillevy

As posted earlier in the thread this is not what is being discussed - please look at the video posted at the beginning.
  25. daveybaby

It certainly seems that way unless google decide to add the feature in a later version of google maps.

Very very odd.