• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps in compass mode?

Has anyone in the UK actually managed to get this to work? Whenever I try to do it all I get is "Street View Unavailable here"

I'm not talking about 'Off the beaten track' places either. I've never got it to work in London. I've never yet seen this 'feature' on my phone. :(

Mine works fine, sitting at my desk here in London & I can get it into streetview in either mode.

Upvote 0
Streetview coverage is still pretty sparse in the UK outside of major cities, there are even parts of greater london that arent covered yet.

But it definitely works on the hero. If youre in the same spot as the streetview car was (that'll be... um... in the road) its pretty cool to have it match up with reality. Pretty cool, but ultimately pretty useless.

Edit: helpful hint, if you want to see if your area is covered, go to gogle maps on a PC, and drag the little streetview guy (located on top of the zoom bar) onto the map - the areas covered by streetview get shaded in blue.

Upvote 0
I've got a Hero with 2.1, so it is kind of relevant, but all you get with 2.1 is an arrow showing you which way you are facing, you do not get the rotating map from the video.
Fair point - however I think that all but the most adventurous of us are still on 1.5 for the time being. I'm surprised and diappointed if all you still get is an arrow - that wasn't my understanding when the new maps was announced. Why do Google shoot themselves in the foot by continuing to make the iPhone app superior to the Android version?

Upvote 0
Streetview coverage is still pretty sparse in the UK outside of major cities, there are even parts of greater london that arent covered yet.

But it definitely works on the hero. If youre in the same spot as the streetview car was (that'll be... um... in the road) its pretty cool to have it match up with reality. Pretty cool, but ultimately pretty useless.

Edit: helpful hint, if you want to see if your area is covered, go to gogle maps on a PC, and drag the little streetview guy (located on top of the zoom bar) onto the map - the areas covered by streetview get shaded in blue.

All about to change: Google Street View Full UK Coverage unveiled tomorrow

Upvote 0
Has anyone in the UK actually managed to get this to work? Whenever I try to do it all I get is "Street View Unavailable here"

I'm not talking about 'Off the beaten track' places either. I've never got it to work in London. I've never yet seen this 'feature' on my phone. :(
It works fine for me here in West Yorkshire. Only Bradford and Leeds are covered near my home.

Seeing street view in compass mode on the Hero is truly amazing. I didn't know it could do that until reading this thread just now. Awesome! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones