1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Google maps incorrect locationSupport

1. rovrhys

rovrhys Well-Known Member

So when using google maps it shows my location incorrectly. What would do this? Did a battery,sd card, and sim card pull. Nothing has changed.
    stock rom
    rooted
    No modification besides being rooted.

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Do you have GPS turned on? Also, from home, settings->location & security, which of the "My location" services are turned on? Is "Standalone GPS" turned on?
  3. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

... and elaborate a little on what "it shows my location incorrectly" means.

A few hundred feet? China? Spain? A mile?

... Thom
  4. rovrhys

All gps options are turned on.

And it shows me more or less a quarter mile from my location. I was just on a road driving and it showed my location on a golf course a quarter mile away. It even.does it with directions.
  5. Thom

Is it sometimes correct and sometimes wrong?
    When its wrong is it always wrong the same way?
    Is it in error everywhere you go or just in some areas?
    Are the directions correct from your positing or are they correct for the wrong position (in your example where you are or on the golf course)?

... Thom
  6. rovrhys

Sometimes correct sometimes not.
    When it is wrong its ways wrong in the same way. Location is off.
    error everywhere
    Directions are from the golf course. So they are correct from the wrong position.
  7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You could try the app GPS Status and Toolbox: https://market.android.com/details?...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lY2xpcHNpbS5ncHNzdGF0dXMyIl0.

It's been a while since I used it, but somewhere in the menus is a setting to reset all GPS data, and also to download A-GPS data to get a quicker and more accurate GPS location.

[edit] I checked the developer's web site, and found this:

I'd see if this helps.
  8. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Make sure you report back, if you try the GPS Status thing. I'd be curious to see how that worked. I don't have any GPS problems, but I am curious.

BigRedGonzo
  9. tigersharkdude

tigersharkdude Well-Known Member

mine did this to me yesterday. Showed my location as being completely across town *by a good 30 miles* I was getting PO'd.
  10. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend getting the free GPS Status and run it outside with gps, wifi, and data all enabled. When you get satellites locked, go to tools and do all the calibrations. This will greatly improve accuracy.
  11. rovrhys

Gps status helped pinpoint my exact location, but only after waiting for a few minutes on google maps. It auto refreshed to the right location. We will see if it holds true.
  12. rovrhys

Stopped working. Is now back to reporting wrong location
  13. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I'd say that it's potentially defective hardware then, and you should ask for a replacement.
  14. rovrhys

Yeah, that's what it looks like. Damn I really hate flashing back to factory and re rooting a new device Haha. Ill take it by Verizon and see what the competent masters say
  15. Thom

"flashing back to factory"? You said you had no modification other than root-ing.

They are going to require you to try a Factory Data Reset before the exchange.

Maybe you have a data or conflicting app issue. If you are down to exchanging anyway ... perhaps taking the entire device back to stock (with no other apps) and running only that app would give you some insight if it is really a hardware problem or a conflict with other data/app problem.

... Thom
  16. rovrhys

i mean non rooted :)

and yeah i dont want to do anything actually. just want my absurdly expensive phone to work
  17. Thom

If that is the case then you made a very bad decision when you root-ed your "absurdly expensive phone". At that instant you assumed responsibility for what happened.

During some instant between then and now you may have made an unintentional mistake and that mistake introduced this problem.

The only way you are going to know for sure is to revert to stock and try this application by itself. If it still fails then you have a hardware problem and should get the device exchanged (and you will be un-root-ed with a Factory Data Reset and ready for that exchange).

Maybe ... maybe it was not a hardware problem ... it works and if you then stay un-root-ed you will remain protected from other future mistakes.

So ... you are going to put it back to stock in order to exchange it ... what I am suggesting is that after you get it back to stock you try the application and see if it still fails.

... Thom
  18. rexboe

rexboe Well-Known Member

A factory reset will not remove root. Rooting does not cause problems it only gives you super user access so you can do more with your device. I do agree try a factory reset and if that doesn't fix it then you will need to get an exchange. Search the forums and you will be able to figure out how to unroot your device before you send it back in.
  19. Thom

I agree throughly with what you said in a perfect world. It isn't.

Root-ing does not introduce a problem. Root-ing gives the opportunity for problems to occur if you make a mistake after root-ing. Who knows what he (or someone else with access to the phone) gave SU to and for how long.

There was a recommendation that he replace the device because it was defective. To do that he will need to restore it to stock.

The only suggestion was that after it was once again stock ... try the app and see if it still failed. If it did it would prove that it was hardware.

He assumed the responsibility when he root-ed.

... Thom
  20. serendip80

serendip80 New Member

I was having the same problem, all the location services on my new phone were putting me some 30 miles or so west of my actual location. Following suggestions here, i went to the location menu in settings and found that one of the three location settings was to use Verizon services to set my location. Didn't have that on my last phone, so i turned it off. Poof et voila, stand-alone GPS locates me correctly. Verizon thinks i'm landlocked instead of on an island in the Atlantic. Duh.
  21. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Verizon's location services use cell towers which is faster and uses less battery power but is less accurate. It is known as Coarse Location which you will see some apps request.