• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps - Label Starred Locations?

inssane

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2009
Chi-Town
I have several starred items and most were entered by hand. Problem I have in the car and on the fly is that I know the name of who I want to go see, but only an address shows up. It can be hard to see and I don't always remember the person's address.
I would like to add more stars but without being able to label an address "Booty Call 1", etc, I will have a hard time using it.

I did search around and couldn't find any info.
Nick

I look at my "starred items" and see the addresses I have saved.
There is no edit button. When I click on the address and the bubble on the map pops up, the "more" drop down has an "edit details" button but it's greyed out.

Now these are addresses that I had typed in at one point and starred. I didn't create it manually via the my maps menu.

Upvote 0
When I click on a stared addess and the map pops up the bubble contains a save to just before the "other option. This is where you can save it to "my maps" using the new map choice in the drop down, it no longer is a stared map but will show up in my maps which is an option in the top left column. Then when you select it there will be an edit button there.

Upvote 0
When I click on a stared addess and the map pops up the bubble contains a save to just before the "other option. This is where you can save it to "my maps" using the new map choice in the drop down, it no longer is a stared map but will show up in my maps which is an option in the top left column. Then when you select it there will be an edit button there.

I did this, but nothing changed upon the phone sync. My address in the "my maps" section that I saved it to was edited to the person's name, but didn't sync the change.

Upvote 0
I couldn't find a way to label a star, but I went into my maps on the computer and created markers at each starred item. You can then lable each marker and apply notes to each one. Then, when you go into mymaps on your phone you can see all those markers. Click on one and you can see the notes on them too. I think thats your best solution. This way you can label the markers booty 1, 2, 3, etc.

Upvote 0
One solution that I have found, though not ideal, is to add (Label) to the end of the address in Google Maps before you star it.

For example:
123 Main St New York, NY (Home)

This will stick when you star the item and will make it searchable from Maps on your phone as (Home) as well as the address.

The other solution is to save the locations to a "My Maps" custom map instead of starring them, which will let you edit their information.

Upvote 0
One solution that I have found, though not ideal, is to add (Label) to the end of the address in Google Maps before you star it.

For example:
123 Main St New York, NY (Home)

This will stick when you star the item and will make it searchable from Maps on your phone as (Home) as well as the address.

This works real slick. The () shows in the name of the map and when stared. Too bad we coundn't put the () first.

Upvote 0
Google really dropped the ball here -- i have just migrated to the Samsung Galaxy S2, from the HTC Touch Pro2 (a Windows Mobile device) .. and this is a MAJOR pain in the Android version of Google Maps, whereas it is very straight forward in the WinMo version. How's that for irony?

In the WinMo version, you tap on the star, select "rename" from the popup menu, and there you go! The phone app periodically syncs with your web settings all by itself without any fuss or red tape about editing via your browser.

It's almost as if they have purposely made it more difficult for Android ... mindless as that sounds, and disgusting if it proves to be true. But the alternative, that it's an innocent oversight, is unlikely given that the problem persists even now.

Very disappointing!
</rant>
:(

Upvote 0
Google really dropped the ball here -- i have just migrated to the Samsung Galaxy S2, from the HTC Touch Pro2 (a Windows Mobile device) .. and this is a MAJOR pain in the Android version of Google Maps, whereas it is very straight forward in the WinMo version. How's that for irony?

In the WinMo version, you tap on the star, select "rename" from the popup menu, and there you go! The phone app periodically syncs with your web settings all by itself without any fuss or red tape about editing via your browser.

It's almost as if they have purposely made it more difficult for Android ... mindless as that sounds, and disgusting if it proves to be true. But the alternative, that it's an innocent oversight, is unlikely given that the problem persists even now.

Very disappointing!
</rant>
:(

I know what you mean. The work around I have, is to add the address as a new contact and select the directions from within the contacts field by pressing the directions button.

Edited: I forgot to add that once you have the address as a contact, you can star it as a favorite in Google Maps and it will show the name/title you gave it in the Google Maps/Navigation app. So you can get directions from either Google Maps or within your contacts. So, it can be done, just a little different. This is a good thing, when you chage phones, all your starred places transfer to your new phone.

Upvote 0
You think Google would have added this feature to Maps.

How hard is it to just add a text box saying "title" or "name" and then display it above the address of selected place?

The really crappy thing is, I could edit the labels on my windows mobile phone! Now that I have an Android I can't anymore! I had been connecting my old win mobile phone with wifi and labeling all my starred locations that way but I don't have the phone anymore. This is a HUGE oversight on Googles part because Windows Mobile proved they are capable of employing this simple feature yet they can't even add it to the app on a platform THEY created! Shame on you Google, I love you, but boo for this disregard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones