• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google maps location

sam007

Jun 26, 2010
Folks

In system settings, I have Use GPS satellites unchecked but Enable assisted gps checked

Now on my old blackberry, if I didn't have gps turned on, it would still find my approximate location to about a mile using cellular networks. On google maps on the Droid X, google maps doesn't find me at all and simply gives this error

"Please enable a my location source in system settings"

I don't want to enable full GPS for simple things like finding a local restaurant as approximate location would be fine with this

Folks

In system settings, I have Use GPS satellites unchecked but Enable assisted gps checked

Now on my old blackberry, if I didn't have gps turned on, it would still find my approximate location to about a mile using cellular networks. On google maps on the Droid X, google maps doesn't find me at all and simply gives this error

"Please enable a my location source in system settings"

I don't want to enable full GPS for simple things like finding a local restaurant as approximate location would be fine with this

you can do that. but you need to have the "use wireless networks" clicked. that'll do the trick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones