Google Maps loses locationSupport

1. SpringerReb

SpringerReb Member

Google Maps loses location even when in good cell area and especially when on a call. Close app and re-open and it starts back up. Should not have to do this.
    Any suggestions

Advertisement
  2. androidexpat

androidexpat Well-Known Member

I have seen this happen on my Note 3 here in Asia. Happened to me in Thailand, Hong Kong and in China.
  3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Welcome to the forums SpringerReb. Do you have GPS on as well?
  4. SpringerReb

SpringerReb Member

Yes - under location services it is checked.
  5. selmerdave

selmerdave Well-Known Member

That's the new Google maps (as of July), also no destination prediction, no searching for alternate routes. It's really a shame and very odd that in a major "update" they remove some of the most useful and distinguishing functions not to mention reducing the capability of the basic gps.
  6. SpringerReb

SpringerReb Member

Any way to download old Google maps
  7. selmerdave

I wish, that would be another great option, let users choose the version. On older phones you can uninstall updates, on the Note 3 the "base" version is the one after the update.
  8. SpringerReb

SpringerReb Member

hopefully this is something that can be fixed with software updates.

I am in sales and use my google maps daily!!
  9. SpringerReb

SpringerReb Member

Looks like I'm not the only one noticing this. Was a comment under the new At&t update. See below.......

I was hoping it would allow for GPS connectivity improvements. Sometimes it just loses connection and refuses to reconnect without rebooting in Google Maps.
  10. selmerdave

It's the Google maps software, not the gps hardware. You might get better results using a 3rd party navigation app.
  11. dontpanicbobby

I noticed the maps pointer spinning as well. I'm going to check if the November 8th update fixes that. I'll post back after 10 PM EST.
  12. dontpanicbobby

After the update the pointer is still swinging wildly but the actual location dot is spot on. I haven't tried it using driving directions though. I don't have a vehicle.
  13. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Sounds like a problem with the compass
  14. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

I use Mapquest for navigation (I've always liked it better than Google Nav) and, aside from the little glitches I see regularly with any GPS receiver (like suddenly being a black away from where I am, for just a second or two), I don't see any major loss of location.

Remember, though, that any sudden strong reflection of a GPS signal (like passing near a large overhead metal sign) can throw a GPS receiver calculation way off. Things like that are the cause of the one or two second "how did I get over there" errors.