• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps. My Location error.

OwenJames

Lurker
Sep 15, 2010
Hi,

I am having trouble with Google Maps in my HTC Desire.

When I look at My Location, it is completely wrong.

When I rotate my phone, the arrow turns round, but the location is nowhere near where I actually am.

Anybody have any idea what I can do about this, as I really need to use this feature.

When I first got the phone it worked OK...

When I look at My Location, it is completely wrong.

When I rotate my phone, the arrow turns round, but the location is nowhere near where I actually am.
Grab a copy of "GPS Test" from the market (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.chartcross.gpstest) and see what that says about your location. If that's also wrong then I guess there must be something wrong with the GPS receiver, assuming you've already isolated being in tricky positions - under thick trees, inside a tin shed :D etc.

Assuming GPS Test gives real results then it's just Google Maps showing the wrong location despite being given correct data - so maybe it's worth uninstalling it to purge any invalid data files and then reinstalling it.

Upvote 0
I am from India. My location on my HTC Desire was fine and correct untill I was using Airtel sim, now when I changed to Vodafone my location is wrongly shown. It shows that I am in Vizag, AP instead of Kumarghat, Tripura, both in google maps and latitude and even on my home screen. Can anybody please help?????? The location works fine when I re-insert the Airtel sim. But the Vodafone one is my permanant no. Any help will be highly appriciated.

Anybody PLEASE.

Upvote 0
What happens if you go into the location menu and tell it to use GPS but not wireless network? My guess is that it will work, in which case the problem is with Google's map of Vodafone base station locations. If so it may require Google to fix it.

Does this happen everywhere you go, or just in one area? If the latter the problem may just be with one cell.

Reactions: prabs4sure
Upvote 0
What happens if you go into the location menu and tell it to use GPS but not wireless network? My guess is that it will work, in which case the problem is with Google's map of Vodafone base station locations. If so it may require Google to fix it.

Does this happen everywhere you go, or just in one area? If the latter the problem may just be with one cell.

Thanks for your suggestion Hadron. I returned from a different town just now and there the location detection was fine. I have tried with wifi and also with only GPS enabled but that even didnt worked. Ours is a small town here and I cannot find its name when I search for it, but earlier with Airtel sim current location showed its name. It feels very bad when another city some 3000kms away with different weather activities shows up in the current location and home screen as well.
How can I bring this problem to the knowledge of Google and how long they can take to fix this?
PLEASE HELP

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones