Google maps navigation Droid X

Last Updated:

1. dnbreaks

dnbreaks Active Member

I have the Droid X and recently the voice in the turn by turn directions in navigation has not been working properly. After I enter the destination a computerized voice starts speaking, but it's not even close to the voice it used to be. And it says something like xml version equals 1.0, state version equals 1.0, www(dot)wfree(dot)org/2001/10/synthassist... It seems to repeat this a couple times for about 30 seconds and then finally gives the next turn direction. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Advertisement
  2. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I've had that exact problem before, it's you TTS (text to speech) library. Try installing eSpeak TTS, then go to Menu>Settings>Voice input and output>Text-to-speech settings and pick eSpeak TTS under the Engines title. Hope this works for you!
    dnbreaks likes this.
  3. dnbreaks

dnbreaks Active Member

I did have eSpeak installed and it was my default engine. I uninstalled and reinstalled it. The computer voice went away, but only briefly. The regular voice would be there, but then if I clicked the menu button -> more -> set destination and changed the destination, the computer voice would come back. Sometimes the regular voice would come back if I exited navigation and opened it up again. And then sometimes the computer voice would still be there. This doesn't happen at all if I pick Pico TTS as my default engine so I think I'll stick with that unless there are any other suggestions. Thanks for your help Hrethgir.
  4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Sounds like an issue with eSpeak then. Have you contacted the developer? I haven't had such problems using SVOX Classic.

Subject should be TTS engine. It's not Google Maps/Nav.
  5. dnbreaks

dnbreaks Active Member

Thx takeshi, I will try SVOX and contact the developer of eSpeak. And you're probably right that the subject should be TTS engine, however at the time things weren't working properly with Nav I wasn't aware that TTS could be the issue as Nav is the only app, that I know of, I use this with.