• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps Navigation using wrong voice accent

Had similar.
Desire S on Gingerbread : suddenly got an error message reading memory card
Sat Nav continued to work but reverted to US accent.
Reseated memory card and ran factory reset (picking UK English), wiping memory card in the process.
Tried Navigation with the shipped version of Maps, works fine with British accent
Upgraded Maps to latest via Android Market/Google Play, navigation accent went American again
Repeated the above steps above with the same pattern.
Pico is the only visible installed TTS engine.
Test voice is in British English
Google Translate also reads translated text in British English as expected
Navigation is also misreading some words so says I now leave on "3 road"
Live in the UK

Upvote 0
Yes, seeing this same behaviour in the UK on Desire running 2.2 - really annoying. When I go into TTS settings and run the test phrase I get the British voice I want to hear. I even clicked the setting to make TTS settings override app defaults, but no luck in Google Maps / Navigation after June 27 update. American voice, which really seems quite crackly as well as ... erm ... american.

Upvote 0
Delighted to know it's not just me. Was wondering if this was related to the offline navigation option, ie if use of the British voice requires a 3G/GPRS connection, then offline navigation may have forced google to rely on alternative voices when there is no internet available. Just guessing. I also hope it will be resolved soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones